Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just purchased an aftermarket Jacobs Ignition Second-Hand, and was wondering where you folks had yours mounted. I was origionally thinking that I would be replacing the OEM coil, but soon found out I would need it. I was thinking of mounting the ignition computer right next to the battery, bolted to the engine bay wall. The new coil would be mounted on the outside of the drivers side wheel well(kind of hard to describe).

Good Idea or No?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I am relocating my battery to the trunk, and placing my MSD box there, with some air ducted to it to help keep it cool.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Where are you placing the battery in the boot? What guage wire is necessary to do this? Will you be grounding the battery somewhere in the boot area, and if so, specifically where?

I still need to install my Jacobs I.C.E. pak and space under the hood is at a premium since I also have an rrfpr and the Spearco fuel enrichment system that are taking up space on that side of the engine bay. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Sorry Andrew. I am in the same boat as you, finding a good location for the Aftermarket ignition. I thought pointers on relocating the battery might be the key to freeing up some space up front. :?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No no, it's ok. I'm just really frustrated. I have this great aftermarket part that I haven't been able to put on my car yet.. :mad: :p

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: placement

Hi Andrew,

check the instructions that came with the unit. They give some recommendations for which locations are best. Uusually in the front of the car, like in the bumper area, where the unit can get lots of cool airflow. Just make sure wherever you put it, that it doesn't interfer with your upcoming turbo and intercooler upgrade :) Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Sonny

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Chad,

I am placing it in the very rear of the hatch area. I'm cutting the board that covers the spare. As for wire gauge and whatnot..I can't answer yet. I ordered a Moroso kit as they are the only ones I know of that are NHRA certified for track use... It was ~$90.00 from Summitracing.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Haven't done this yet... I was gonna order the kit this Thursday actually.... except that the %&*#ing dog ate my damn credit card... so I hafta wait for the new card to come in.... Once I do it, I will post pics.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
probably the best thing to use for wiring your battery to the trunk is welding cable. nothing to big is needed, its has virtually no resistance and is cheap. I would recommend running a ground wire using it too. run a ground from firewall to block and from block to battery, good grounding and better power will result.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
My MSD box was orignally located right behind the grill attached to the A/C lines. After the intercooler install it was moved to the upper part of that same space but by the battery. Good luck! 8)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I hook up my MSD 6BTM in the glove box w/ my 2 step rev limiter... and since it is an enclosed unit... I am running a 12V 4" fan to cool it... but when the fan is off... it does not even run hot to heat soak the MSD unit

Jay

·
Registered
120 Posts
3000cc MK2 said:
I hook up my MSD 6BTM in the glove box w/ my 2 step rev limiter... and since it is an enclosed unit... I am running a 12V 4" fan to cool it... but when the fan is off... it does not even run hot to heat soak the MSD unit

Jay
I mounted my MSD between the original coil location and the wheel well. I had to move the tach/fuel adaptor to the space behind the grill. The tach/fuel adaptor was cutting out due to heat. I don't know however if this will work for the Jacabs ignition.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
supra_devil beat me to it, but welding cable is probably the best ground.

id suggest running it outside your vehicle, in an armored conduit, well sealed as well...

ground the battery in the trunk, as well as running another ground to the engine compartment is a good idea, as it will keep your engine happy, as well as providing a backup ground, should worst come to worst.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts