Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No where around me has key blanks for MKII supras and I would love to have a spare or 2. Any ideas other than paying toyota an arm an a leg to make a key from my vin?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
They won't. The vin #s have been thrown out for quite some time.

Call the forum toyota dealer, nice keys are about 10$ Have your local shop cut them.

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Last time I bought one a key blank from Toyota is only like $5. You can always cut down the key head on standard old Toyota key to fit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah, they cut my key from a master copy I found in the junkyard. That was a cool find. Fit my glove box and all. They cut me a nice key from a new toyota key from my copy. I don't think it was more than 20 for the key and the cut.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Call Mark.......

He stocks them. He will sell you one, and ship it for cheaper than your local shop.

85 had a specific key. The other years are generic and easy to find.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The blank for our keys (82-5) is often missing at the standard WalMart/Home Depot/Lowes key section. I've had better luck at the Ace Hardware stores.

Often the head of the key won't fit (in the 84, maybe others, particularly the ILCO blank) - a minor bit of grinding will take it down so it will fit.

And if you want OEM, Mark at Vancouver Toyota (sponsor of this forum). If you want a "perfect" key from the code, pull the passenger side door lock and send him the code stamped on it (assuming your pass side is the same lock as the rest). [NB: I need to do this myself on the spare set of locks I have]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info ya'll.

The blank for our keys (82-5) is often missing at the standard WalMart/Home Depot/Lowes key section. I've had better luck at the Ace Hardware stores.

Often the head of the key won't fit (in the 84, maybe others, particularly the ILCO blank) - a minor bit of grinding will take it down so it will fit.

And if you want OEM, Mark at Vancouver Toyota (sponsor of this forum). If you want a "perfect" key from the code, pull the passenger side door lock and send him the code stamped on it (assuming your pass side is the same lock as the rest). [NB: I need to do this myself on the spare set of locks I have]
There isn't anybody that I have found locally that still carries this specific blank. I couldn't care less about OEM, I just want something that works seeing as I have a bad habit of losing things :32:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I gotta get on this too sometime, as we only have 1 key for our two tone, and it's the tiny head key. I tried 2 or 3 places last summer, and couldn't find a key blank.

BTW, JZAR (and anyone else posting pics of their keys), it is possible for a good locksmith to make a key from the picture that you posted, and potentially steal your car or whatever is in it. This is a free public forum, and anyone can find the pictures. Just thought I'd warn you, as it was brought up in another thread like this during the year.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thats just it......Those need to be filed down.

As far as OEM goes, I didn't buy it because it was stock. I bought it because it has a nice rubber end, and because it functions properly.

Seriously...5$ for something that you use daily for years......How is this an issue.

Make a call, Get a proper key, Use it.

No need for filing. No need to hunt. Pick up the phone.

Wow

·
Registered
177 Posts
i got my key for 2 bucks at a key store but it would not fit in the ecnition so all i needed to do was grinde down the hold on part so fits works alittle ugly grind marks but im happy sence when car idled in cold weather it kept trying to lock me out so after i got the key it stopped irony huh

1 - 20 of 43 Posts