Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used a big pipe wrench to remove the huge retaining nut at the top of the strut housing. This holds the strut insert in place. Never really had much problem with my Supra, but today tried changing out the struts on my '95 MR2 and despite penetrating oil, torching, wrenching, just couldn't get the nut loose. Pipe wrench started to chew up the nut so I stopped for now. Any tips or sources to get the "appropriate" tool ?

Thanks.

Don L.
'84 Supra
'95 MR2

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No idea on the strut wrench. I got mine ok with a pipe wrench. Are you making the move to E-Stock?

·
Registered
247 Posts
damn that's an expensive wrench end thing. I just use a set of jumbo channel locks. Put the whole strut assembly in a vise and torque the hell out of it, I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks guys ! Wow, never bought a Snap-On tool before, always heard they were great stuff but expensive, so true ! Gotta think about it.

The bench that the vise is attached to was moving too much when I started leaning on the 20" pipe wrench. Darn Ebay MR2 I bought outa Chicago ! It's rusted tough, gonna be a challenge. Spoiled by Calif. cars and suspensions :)

Moving to E-Stock ?? Already in E-Stock. Just don't usually drive the MR2 at most autox events. The primary season, tours, national, I drive the Supra. When the Supra is down, like it will be now for probably 3 months working on the MAF conversion, shocks, struts, etc., the MR2 is the back up. It's really a perfect autox car. Mid engine, turns well, good low end torque, great breaks, cheap to run. A set of AGXs, TRD front bar, autox alignment, and a set of R tires and its up there with the best. The challenge is still to develop the Supra to compete better against the modern cars in DSP. It's mostly suspension tuning, but an extra 20 hp would be about right !

Don

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The trick is to heat the top part of the strut tube without heating up the nut excessively. Are you planning to reuse the insert, or just the strut tube?? Try heating up the top of the tube evenly with a propane torch and then tap around the circumference of the top of the tube with a brass hammer to break the rust loose. If you're not going to reuse the insert, then I suppose you could cut the shaft and use a large metric socket and a breaker bar, but you might end up crushing the strut tube. :roll: Some heat, a few taps with a brass hammer and some Liquid Wrench, and that nut should break loose.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys ! I'll soak it for a few more days in penetrating oil, keep tapping it with a small hammer, will try heating it maybe wednesday with a propane torch. Just a bit nervous with the gas filled cartridge inside. I'm changing out the inserts, but don't want to ruin the strut housings by crushing them in a vise. Maybe I need to make a mount that lines up with the stock strut housing mounting bracket, either that or remount it onto the car knuckle and wrench on it there.

Don L.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
maybe im just lazy, but id cough up the bucks for the tool... makes life simpler to have the proper tool, and im sure you can probably get the tool from toyota... i know they sell some specialty tools, although theyre supposed to sell only to mechanics, theres always a way to get something.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just an idea, Does autozone have this tool on the list of tools they let you borrow with a deposit you get back when it is returned? I know I used a set of spring compressors from them.

Wost case senario, take it to a good suspension shop and see if they can remove it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts