Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my fuel pump in my 84. Should i get the one from auto zone ( which is stock) or get the WALBRO 255 FUEL PUMP. by the time tax and shipping comes out i will have paid less for the walbro. I am not going to be running any boost. just want to make sure the walbro will be ok for stock use.

jeremy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same question

I have almost the same question.

I bought a Walbro off eBay for $85 and am wondering if it would hurt to go ahead and install. Would the pressure from it hurt stock regulator, injectors or make the car run too rich?

Somebody please answer these questions! :?
Tanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i second that. I was waiting to hear from someone before i buy a fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
If you use the Walbro pump make sure to drill out the J-return plate thingie (technical huh :) ) or bypass it altogether, otherwise you'll have skyhigh fuel pressure. A search in the Mk3 section at Supraforums should return a how to on how to do this. Also most people complain the Walbro will hum when your at traffic lights and such. Personally I'd stay away from anything at Autozone. I've never had much luck with aftermarket replacement parts in general.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Usually, I would go with what SilverMk2 says. However, I got a fuel pump from Autozone and so far it’s still running. IIRC they have life-time warranty.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Personally I'd stay away from anything at Autozone.
lol, yes they have that warranty for a reason. Plus you may as well go with the walbro as its cheaper and great quality. however if you leave the FPR stock as silver said, your base fuel pressure will jump quite a bit and a rough idle...etc may occur. You shoudl consider getting a walbro 190lph fuel pump istead :twisted:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i got the pump out but i had to cut a rubber hose. I could not break loose the nut that was on the fuel line. I also could not do it on either side. i want to know if it is ok to just cut right behind that nut on both sides and run a piece of fuel hose and clamp it down? The only reason it looks like it is even there is so you can remove that without having to move the fuel line.

jeremy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts