Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which grade gas do you guys use? Any differences you guys notice when driving (i.e. better mileage, more power) I heard the different grades don't differ by much.

I use 87 and everything runs fine. My friend always busts my chops about using that. Also which station's gas do you find works better than others? I think Cheveron's is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've always used 89 octane, and when it gets cheap i go for the good stuff......93 octane, but i've always used 89 w/o any problems, if your timing is advanced enough and you use a low octane you could cause yourself some pinging. But i'm sure if it works for you then go right ahead, lol but my preference is 89

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I never used anything less than 92 octane, and usually go to the stations that have 93. The only station around here that has 94 is Sunoco and they charge 10 cents per gallon more than the 92. I personally would not recommending running less than premium on a turbo'd mk2. I get 22-24+ miles per gallon every time I fill up.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I have a completely bone stock supra and i usually get around 20-25 mpg i definitly would use premium if i had it turbo'd

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I ran 87 when I bought the car and it knocked a bit sometimes now I use 91 which is about as high as it gets around here and it runs very smooth and has more power. My friend put in 87 a couple weeks ago (he didn't know) and there was a big difference. I just avoid looking at the price of the lower grades so I dont get to ticked :D

-Wil

·
Registered
793 Posts
Always 93, it doesnt like to idle very well on 87, but gas milage doesnt seem to be affected.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I would definitely run the 89 octane or higher and stick with the highest octane pump gas that you can find if you're running a turbo. Some refineries and oil companies tend to skimp quite a bit on the detergent additives in the low octane gas as well, promoting carbon deposits and other crud build-up in your induction system. :?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use midgrade. I definately feel a difference i feel my car a bit more stronger.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Premium, ALWAYS. I've never used 87. I also almost always go to Cheveron. I went to a Texaco once and had been getting about 21mpg, well, on the Texaco crap I got 15mpg. :?

·
Registered
257 Posts
92 or above in everything...even in my lawnmower! :lol:
if you run 92 or better you'll never have the rotten egg smell either.
Brian

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Back when I was a poor teen and paying for my own gas on a part-time retail clerks job I always went to wherever the gas was cheapest. I thought back then that my Mercury Capri just had a sorry ass carburetor because in two years I had to take it apart and clean it seven times while all my teenage friends bought gas at the same kind of places and never seemed to have any such trouble. Then when I got in college and all the credit card offers started pouring in I got an Exxon card and started buying gas always at Exxon. I never touched that carburetor again through four years of college and three years beyond. Then about four years ago when I bought my boat, the mechanic at the marina told me WHY the Exxon was better. Exxon stations are only allowed to sell Exxon gas and Exxon corporate requires that the underground tanks be dug up and replaced on a regular basis to keep impurities out of the gas. He mentioned this because he said most people's problems with outboard engines are from bad gas. He recommended Exxon and Chevron as the best places to buy gas. Avoid Texaco stations he said because you aren't even guaranteed of getting Texaco gas. Texaco and some others lease their name, credit card setups and such to franchisees and allow them to sell any kind of gas they want and maintain their stations any old way they please. Exxon and Chevron have served me well because I've never had problems related to bad gas from either. BTW, the 6m-gte gets 93 and the stockers get 89.

Phil D.

FWDsux said:
Premium, ALWAYS. I've never used 87. I also almost always go to Cheveron. I went to a Texaco once and had been getting about 21mpg, well, on the Texaco crap I got 15mpg. :?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Up here in Calgary gas stations are required to replace storage tanks on a regular basis-I think every 10 years. It has taken care of the bad/water contaminated gas.

-Wil

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I'm a POOO Supra owner I use the cheapest shit there is :roll:

When the price for has is high I use the cheap stuff (87 octane :( ) but when I have a couple of extra bucks i use the Premium ( 91 octane, Cali sucks for not having any of that 93 octane :x )

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I use the highest octane available....the 5M doesn't really seem to care, but I like how it runs with higher octane.

The price difference is so negligible, that I burn the most expensive stuff Chevron sells and that's pretty much what I've always done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Old Skool 82 said:
Which grade gas do you guys use? Any differences you guys notice when driving (i.e. better mileage, more power) I heard the different grades don't differ by much.

I use 87 and everything runs fine. My friend always busts my chops about using that. Also which station's gas do you find works better than others? I think Cheveron's is pretty good.
I use the highest I can find, the car runs bad at low rpms as it is. It's more pronounce on the lower octanes. I'll run the highest, no matter what it costs. I go to racetrac a lot, havent' seen anything wrong with thier gas yet. Also my mpg drops on regular or mid grade.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Owners manual says it can do 87 octane (need to check & see if this is RON, or research reading). I used 87 for about the first 5 years w/ no problems. After that, I would drive up this steep long hill that is about 6 blocks long that is near my place & in the summer time, I could hear the motor ping (35 - 40 mph in 3rd gear) with the window rolled down. Switched to 89 octane & the pinging went away. Have stayed w/ 89 or the occasional tank of 92 octane & everything is just fine.

Both of the owners manuals for my 81 Silver Slug MKI 5ME & my former 80 Brownpra MKI 4ME said to run 91 octane. So I've been using 92 since the day(s) I've owned them.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
midgrade, or if im at my "home" station, where i used to work, premium.

problem is that premium costs 11-20 cents more a liter than regular....
on any of my vehicles, thats 6.40-11.20 difference on a tank for me, if it comes down to it, ill get regular and toss in a bottle of octane boost.

also, for all you canadians... last time i used mohawk premium in my truck, it fouled a brand new set of plugs and i think it might have shat in my cat, as the truck stinks and runs like its got a blocked tail pipe.
beware the shoddy mohawk gas that never sells and just sits in the tank for months and months on end.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
P.S. Gas preferences.

Usually, I'll go to Union 76 (also used to go to BP, but as of 2 years ago, all of the BP's on the West Coast were bought out by Union 76). I'll go to Chevron in a pinch, but they tend to be more expensive. I will ALWAYS avoid Arco & their cheaper gas, unless I'm driving a Rental & I could care less what I put in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In NZ you have a choice ov either 91 or 96 octane but i dunno if its as good as the US ?? runs noticibly better on 96 tho.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts