Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Whirring sound for 5 seconds when car first starts up

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  CST 
#1 ·
Last night my car made a "whirrring" sound, (if that makes any sense) immediately after starting the car. It lasted about 5 seconds, sounded sort of like a hair dryer under my hood. It did it again last that night, but wouldn't do it again. I was thinking maybe my battery was shorting out and was low and it was my alternator but it didn't do it this morning. So I don't know what to think.

#2 ·
maybe your fan clutch is going? i know that mine used to make a funny wirring sound for a little bit when i started it up and the fan clutch was going

my parents truck uses a clutch fan and it always makes that sound, maybe just the clutch warming up? i dunno...just throwing ideas but it sounds fan-related to me....

#3 ·
asaqwert said:
maybe your fan clutch is going? i know that mine used to make a funny wirring sound for a little bit when i started it up and the fan clutch was going

my parents truck uses a clutch fan and it always makes that sound, maybe just the clutch warming up? i dunno...just throwing ideas but it sounds fan-related to me....
I replaced my fan assembly last weekend.

#6 ·
Mine does it too useually a heat soak thing I think

#7 ·
hmmm....has it done this since you replaced the fan assembly? seeing that you replaced it maybe its a symptom of the new assembly and not actually a bad thing? just an idea...but i know my parents' isuzu truck does this when it just starts up....but only if its been sitting for a little bit (like over a few minutes)....

when u start off driving do u get the same wirring sound for a few seconds maybe? then it just kinda goes away and the car is quiet again?

just throwin out ideas....

bump anwyays lol :p

#8 ·
I also replaced my fan clutch recently and have noticed when I start my car it also makes a .. well .. a whir sound. Personally I think it sounds cool. I'm gonna guess since you just replaced yours that it's a normal sound for it to make after replacing the part... unless we both just screwed up in the same way, which I doubt.

#9 ·
I got a horrible bbbbrrrrriiinnnngggg that would be constant until I stopped the car ( physically ) then resumed driving. Blower motor working fine ( sound only happened when very cool overnight so I have the defrost on ). Nothing erratic with the digi dash readout. Not coming from the engine compartment and doesnt really sound behind the dash. Cant check that really cuz as soon as the car stops...it stops :evil:
Parked it last week for the winter so it really only bugged me again now as I read this post. If I'm off topic, sorry.
DJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.