Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my supra warms up and i sit at a stop light when i take off there is a puff of white smoke when i drive in town my car burns about a qt of oil every 2 weeks but when i high way drive it doesnt loose any oil what could this be
thanks
Jesse

·
Registered
516 Posts
If its white even after it warms up then it could be early symtoms of small blown head gasket, Or some synthetic oils burn white,
But you def have some sort of leak, like camshaft seal or camshaft cover seal, somthing like that. :roll:

·
Registered
109 Posts
sorry to high jack the thread but if you do have a slite bhg is it possible to just retorque the head tighter to seal it better or what. if so what would you retorque them to. thanx and agian sorry for jacking the thread

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i dont think it is a blown head gasket but then agian i dont know a whole lot about my car yet...and no im leaking no coolent, and im not using synthetic i use 10w40, i recently added new plugs quad fires, and now it smokes even more in town....any way thanx 4 all the help..
Jesse

·
Registered
129 Posts
Typically white smoke is a sign that coolant or water is leaking into the exhaust chamber. You can also smell it in the exhaust gas if you're burning either coolant or oil. Some day soon you should let the car idle in your driveway, and then have a friend apply the gas while in neutral while you stand back and get a whif of the smoke :). It is a pretty ghetto plan, but then you'll know if it's oil or coolant without having to take things apart.

If it's oil though you would probably have bad valve seals or even small amount of oil in your spark plug holes from a bad valve cover gasket. If you pull out your spark plug wires and plugs, and find oil around the tips then that may be the culprit. If you are leaking coolant, it is most likely a bad head gasket or in an extreme case maybe a warped head.

·
Registered
306 Posts
suprarox85 said:
sorry to high jack the thread but if you do have a slite bhg is it possible to just retorque the head tighter to seal it better or what. if so what would you retorque them to. thanx and agian sorry for jacking the thread
no.

·
Registered
81 Posts
replacing valve cover gasket

I need to replace my valve cover gasket. Can someone tell me how hard/easy this is, and how long it should take. I'm no expert, but I am a semi-seasoned wrencher.

How much $$$ will it cost?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Cam cover gaskets???? WAAAY WAAAY easy!!!!!!!!!!

Right side cover: Loosen 4 bolts & it comes right off.

Left side cover: Remove intake crossover pipe. Disconnect throttle linkage. Loosen 4 bolts & cover comes off. You may have to wiggle this one out a bit, since part of the throttle body is in the way. Also watch for the curved plate that is attached to this one underneath. Want to make sure that this does not get bent.

Replace gaskets (you should also replace the 8 screw gaskets while you're at it), then reassemble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts