Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 79' Toyota Cressida then moved across the country and let it sit for over a year. The previous owner replaced the head gasket, put it all back together, then it wouldn't start so he sold it to me. He successfully did a hg replacement on his other 4m cressida before messing with mine. After several attempts to get it running, I pulled the valve cover and found out the timing chain was super loose, so I ordered a new tensioner and pulled out the old one, they look and seem to function the same which leads me to believe something else went wrong.. Good thing it's a non interference engine.. Haha, any pointers before I pull the timing cover to see what could've happened? I've had the idea to swap a 1uzfe but I'd like to run the 4m into the ground and get it running a little sooner. Thought about sourcing a 5mge as I've heard its basically a plug & play swap for the older m series toyotas, but I think that idea is super outdated. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I like the lines of this year Cressida. Good idea to swap out the carb 4M. A 5MGE would be perfectly fine and solid motor. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the lines of this year Cressida. Good idea to swap out the carb 4M. A 5MGE would be perfectly fine and solid motor. Good luck.
Thanks, I've been looking for a 5mge but I'm thinking for the time and effort a 2jzge would be the best idea

1 - 5 of 5 Posts