Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My name is Frank and I have been in the Supra community for about 5 years now. I haven't really frequented this board that often but I do stop in from time to time to check stuff out. This is the first time that I have actually needed to post anything hence the join date. I have been on Supraforums for awhile under the same user name. Anyway I was wondering if you guys would be interested in joining this project. We have a good bit of guys that have already committed to being a part of it.

The following has been copied from my original thread off of Supraforums.

Some of you may have seen my previous thread about a build that I was thinking about doing with my brother. If you haven't I will give you a fast background. My brother called me up a few days ago and asked me if I would be interested in starting a build with him. I asked him what kind of build and he said something super fast but super cheap. Go figure.

As I always do I consulted my fellow SupraForums members to get some feedback and bounce ideals around. We came up with a few ideals that I think might work. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Anyway, I was talking to my brother today about it and during the conversation he said that we should try to build the fastest car with the least amount of money to set a Guinness World Record. I did some research and someone already has that record. The dude spent around 4 or 5 bucks. It was for the gas that he was running. Anyhow I was thinking that we should set a world record for the most individual donations towards a single car build. The donations don't have to be money. They can be a used spark plug, used timing belt, an old carpet mat, etc... I have emailed the people over at the Guinness World Records and they are sending me the information on the criteria that needs to be submitted to them in order for them to verify this. One of the things that they said was that every donation that is made has to be used on the car in order to build it or if the donation is money a purchase receipt has to be submitted showing how the money was spent. If you didn't have a part to donate towards the build then I would just donate a single dollar. We could have someone that owns a shop (maybe Dusty) collect all these single dollar donations and he could write us up one massive receipt. I don't know just a thought. Ultimately I would like to see this car sold here on the forums or at an auction style of bidding. I would like to think one of the BIG supra shops would win. They would get our community car as a show piece and the money would be used to start a program for less fortunate youth. I would like to see a auto shop/race program started, sponsered obviously by the Supra community.

The record would be made by, "Supra Community". I have a really good friend that works at an engraving company that can do plaques up for those that contribute a good bit. For those that just want to donate for the hell of it I can get custom tee-shirts made for you. I will be providing all the cost of labor for this build including tuning and all parts that cannot be sourced or bought from the donations. I will also cover the cost of plaques or shirts. Right now I am trying to see if there is interest. If you don't have anything positive to contribute towards this thread PLEASE DO NOT POST in here. I don't need this thread cluttered up. If on the other hand you have an ideal or are for this project please post. Thanks guys.

Well there you have it. If you are interested please let me know. At a minimum all we are asking for is a one dollar donation. I have also created a website dedicated to this build. www.sfgwrbuild.com. Thanks guys for your time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
General Information

* Last Activity: Today 08:03 PM
* Current Activity: Viewing Subscribed Threads
* Referrals: 0

Seeing how you joined like today, and just came on the board asking for money and parts.. Well good luck with things. Its pretty hard to be credible when no one knows you. Can anyone here vouch for you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I stated I never had a reason to register on this forum. If you go to SupraForums.com and you search for my name "tropepef" you can see my stats. Do you know Dusty Womack? (The owner of SupraForums and MVPMotorsports.com) Well here is the original thread that I posted on Supraforums.com: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578536
Look who was the first person to post. If that isn't a good enough vouch then I don't know what is. Also look at all the people that vouche for me. You can be a long time forum member of any board and as long as you don't say anything bad and you play be the rules people will vouche for you. Dusty Womack isn't just going to put himself and his multi-million dollar companies name behind a person that he doesn't know. I understand though that people are getting harder and harder to trust. There is also alot of scamming on our board.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should have posted the link to your SF thread.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578536

I have a motor and a half worth of NA and single turbo parts laying around, let me know if you need anything.
Interested in your single turbo parts. I think we are going to try to build an MKII or III 2jz... MKIV is a little bit high on the price range for a community build. If you have time just let me know what you have and a price list. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quarter mile time. I'll have to find the exact time. I researched it a long time ago but I am pretty certain it was in the 7s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you check out the site lacrssgus14? Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
I'm pissed I didn't think of this earlier.

Personal vouches are cool if you're talking about bringing a friend to a kegger.

Professional and technical "vouches" are what you'll need to convince people to donate parts to an attempted shot at a world record.

What have you built, what are you "putting up", and what are your total plans.

--billyM

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
good luck with those 7s in a supra...

only a couple have done it in a mk4. and they had two things: Huge amounts of money, and vast amounts of racing and building experience at hand. You would have neither at your disposal...

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I'm trying to build the fastest car ever for free too.:naughty: Just send your parts or funds to me and I'll be sure to give each of those that contributed recognition some how...:rolleyes:

What are you going to do, get your mom to send out emails to vouch for you like a member here?

No thanks.:sadbanana:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Good luck man... Personally I'd look for something else to beat. As posted before it will be hard to get the parts to go 7s.

A simple thanks will do and update people that contribute.

Don't pay attention to the dickhead posters. Do what you want.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Parts involved in building a 7sec unibody car total $15k bare minimum.

It is estimated that feeding a child a balanced meal costs ~$0.25, which totals up to feeding ~60,000 of the 3million undernourished amercian kids a meal.

...so you could take these "parts" you have lying around for donation, and sell them instead, and donate that money to a honest charity.

...or you could help this guy get a car for free... You know, decide what means more to you...

Tropepef, why do you hate starving children?

--billyM

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

It is estimated that feeding a child a balanced meal costs ~$0.25, which totals up to feeding ~60,000 of the 3million undernourished amercian kids a meal.

...so you could take these "parts" you have lying around for donation, and sell them instead, and donate that money to a honest charity.

...or you could help this guy get a car for free... You know, decide what means more to you...

--billyM

Billy your outlook on this is awsome, so why do you hate starving children

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts

--billyM
I have to agree. I support good/honest causes... supporter on this forum.

I would give to an honest charity that helped children in real need. Not to those n "middle class" who somehow feel that they are in need due to some personal tragedy, need/wants, etc. Despite all their mothers emails.

Let's feed some children.
"Tropepef, why do you hate starving children?" Let's give right to the problem.

Billy, if you start up a registered charity to help feed starving children I'd contribute $25. You could call it Gearheads feed children.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
How about something along the lines of auctioning the car off after the record is set. Then someone gets a car, a world record is broken, and the proceeds from the action can be donated to a charity.

And I do partially hate starving children, if we give them something for nothing now, 95% of them will expect it all their lives and be a continuous drain on my pocket through tax dollars. Sorry, but I have a "survival of the fittest" mentality.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
How about something along the lines of auctioning the car off after the record is set. Then someone gets a car, a world record is broken, and the proceeds from the action can be donated to a charity.
A: Hope you're not a lawyer... "Car must be auctioned after some dood gets a unibody mk2 into the 7's." Joke's on you, that car's never hitting the 7's! Free car for life! Bahahaha.

And I do partially hate starving children, if we give them something for nothing now, 95% of them will expect it all their lives and be a continuous drain on my pocket through tax dollars. Sorry, but I have a "survival of the fittest" mentality.
B: Dude... they're kids. "Give them something for nothing"? Yea, it's called supporting a helpless being. "I'm sorry starving child, I'd rather give my money to some fool on a website than feed you, because I don't want you having the idea that you can get something for nothing as you develop and age..." You have been misled somewhere down the line. *edit* Brilliant idea... why don't you set a world record for number of times you punched yourself in the junk for being a bad person.

C: Trophreebie. I'm sorry. I can not help you. I would not like you get gain a expectation of receiving something for nothing that might further extend into my parts closet. Much like crackalacrgus before me, except for the fact that you're not a starving child, and you're fully capable of earning your own way...

-billyM

·
Founding Member
6,523 Posts
I'm wondering is there a precedent to this "world record"? Has anybody set such a record before and is anybody likely to ever challenge it? Are there specific parameters to this record set forth by others?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

HOLY FREAKING SH*T... ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS??????

No one, and I mean no one, that posted here in this thread read any of the original post. First off when the heck did I ever say we were breaking a 7 second record? PLEASE, for the love of God tell me? Secondly, read the post I quoted. ^^^ Now go back to my original post. That is post number 1 if you didn't know. Now slowly read it. WTF... I don't even know what to say. Why don't you guys read through posts before you start trashing people. BillyM you want PROFESSIONAL vouches? Well I didn't want to be rude and post a link to Supra Forums on this thread but if you want me to I will. Would a personal vouche from Dusty Womack work ok for you? If you don't know he owns MVP Motorsports.com and SupraForums.com. I'm sure you know him. Why don't you go onto supra forums and check out the thread. He's the first one that posted in it so you should have no problem having to read through everything. Lastly, I understand were you guys are coming from with the whole scam thing and telling me that I can make a way for myself. I guess you really didn't get my original post. I have made a way for myself. I am a Marine currently on active duty. 6 years in the service as a combat vet. This is for a charity to help out less fortunate kids. NOT ME. Yes because of asshole scammers on online forums we cannot trust each other as well as we did 5-10 years ago. Well that's enough from me. I just can't believe that you guys of all people are the ones to act like this.

Mods please close this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Personal vouch - from a person who does not know you on a technical or professional level. Aka, Dusty Womack

Technical vouch - a result or showing of your technical skill or support from someone who knows you on this level. Aka, not Dusty Womack, give it up, stop name-dropping.

What have you built in the past? Do you have pictures and such? Lets see what your shop consists of.

So you want to race it. ...cool. Have any previous season results standings? What have you raced? No? Nothing?

Right now, it looks like you're a dreamer asking for hand-outs. It'd be in your best interest to prove that you have the ability and desire to see this through to completion, otherwise you'll just have people like me mucking up your threads.

--billyM

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.