Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll guess 2 reasons.
The seals leak out the nitrogen. How? The seals fail for 2 reasons. Dirt and HEAT.
Under hood temps can be very high and that will affect the pressure inside the struts=VERY high. Plus,the strut is in the collapsed state that increases the pressure even further.
I did a 2 pronged approach to these failure points.

1- Make the seals better protected from dirt. Add an additional seal:8 mm ignition coil caps.
2-Try to insulate engine heat to reduce internal pressure a little:Split tubing.

Yes,they WILL leak the gas out,eventually.:(
Maybe my replacement pair will last longer than 4 years. :unsure:

Amazon ones.

Initially,they have a LOT of pressure! I'm 160# and I couldn't compress them at all.
I just used the old pivot balls,but they do come with them. 10 mm.

:unsure:

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Why do they fail? Because you buy knock-off units that don't even meet stock specs?

(Just buy hood struts that are 30% stronger than stock and don't worry about it.)

Part: SG359019
-1/4" shorter compressed length
-1/2" longer extended length
-30% more lift force than stock
-$15/pair and readily available
(requires 10mm stud at fender)

Hood will raise itself from ~1" above the safety latch and even in the event of a single strut failing entirely, has no trouble keeping the hood up. Replacements are readily available and very cheap (common trunk support) while even being a bit thinner and lighter than the stock units.

--billyM

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
BillyM the strut brand you recommended is Sachs correct Sir??

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most are made of Chineseium. Are Sachs USA made?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
...we make junk here the same as anywhere else (don't perpetuate xenophobia please)

AJ - Sachs/Stabilus has the best historical name but I can't vouch for their production being totally in-house, so it may be paying for the name.

I've been running the MaxPow as the cheapest option that actually appears to be working towards brand recognition and has a sub-20% fake-review rating.

--billyM

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Dave, they'd never fail if you never opened the hood or hatch. You probably could get at some under hood stuff from underneath. And you could use a plasma cutter to make a secret access panel somewhere underneath the rear. Through the gas tank would probably work well enough.... once. Then you wouldn't be able to get back out. Never mind. I didn't really mean it, except the part about the plasma cutter! HA!

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They fail because of heat,not a plasma cutter/lightning torch. Too much pressure from underhood heat. 7 million PSI's? You would fail,too. Blow out the seals and leak fluid,uncontrollably.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My hood struts were replaced 10 years ago, they still hold well. Haven't replaced the hatch ones yet, I don't know if they ever were (probably so).

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll guess that hatch ones last much longer.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hatch struts are WAY longer. also makes a difference with a wing and a wiper motor back there.
The one that I use are from a '92 IS 300= you get 2 inches of HEAD clearance with those. I can dig for the exact application,if you are interested.
I'm 6 '0" and I have scars.

·
Registered
830 Posts
ddd, could you get me the exact application for those hatch struts. I want good ones that will last and that are strong.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Dave, IS300 '2002 struts??

Hatch struts are WAY longer. also makes a difference with a wing and a wiper motor back there.
The one that I use are from a '92 IS 300= you get 2 inches of HEAD clearance with those. I can dig for the exact application,if you are interested.
I'm 6 '0" and I have scars.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
RockAuto has the Sachs SG359019 for $9.72 each...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Stabilius gets my vote. I replaced a set of failed Strongarms (after a few months of use) on my other car and have had no issues so far. Been over a year.

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Extra 2 " of head clearance. Get struts for '02 to '06 Lexus ES 330. With wing and wiper motor.
length: 27.17 ",compressed= 15.43 " 10 mm balls.
Please measure your struts length.

Reactions: Darrow

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fits the following applications:
2002-2005 Lexus ES300 Base Sedan 4-Door Hood
2004-2006 Lexus ES330 Base Sedan 4-Door Hood
Interchangable with 4172,SG129006,4172,8196063,14169,8849QR,534400W040
5344039155,5344039155,RB8795376,

Reactions: AJ