Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the search and have come up with nothing. I REALLY want the Rain-X blades on my car, but I can't seem to get any brands to fit. Also, what are the correct wiper blade lengths? the Rain-x guide told me 2 sizes that were too long, and the wal-mart doo-hickey told me another 2 different sizes...what is the correct

Driver?

Passenger?

Has anyone modified them to make other wipers fit?
Any help would be awesome!

BTW: I already deleted the rear wiper because the splines on the wiper arm were completely stripped.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
why do you want the rain-x ones? You can order the ones from toyota and they work better than ANY aftermarket brand i've used. Even as sitting for a couple months in heavy pollen they still work awesome.

Much cheaper too.

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=38677

Check that for more info on toyota blades. You'll never want a different blade or refill. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
funny thing i was doing all this research & looking for wipers & just decided to buy the rain x i believe i ended up getting 18's for the driver & 17's for passenger & just used a screw to hold in place cause thats how the old ones was put in. i haven't done the rear yet.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
yikes. toyota designed the wiper arm's to have a fixed wiper, and thus they want you to replace the wiper insert.

new wiper inserts cost roughly 30 bucks..
um, a rubber insert from toyota shouldn't run you more than $10. If it does, you are getting anally raped without lube.

The wiper blade (full assembly without the linkage), for all of em, yeah i can see it running $30.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
you fail at the search function. its been done before. with pics. i have aftermarket blades on my car. for the passenger side, all you have to do is use the adapter that most blades come with. the drivers side requires you to drill out the rivet holding the blade in place and use a screw to secure it. of course, the easiest thing to do is buy inserts from the dealer and use factory blades, but mine were messed up and this method worked great.

also, theres no way your getting a 17" blade on the passenger side. thats way to big. passenger side is a 13-14" blade (depending on brand). the drivers side is a 16-17" blade.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The digital catalog will always show the driver's side as 17's, but some brands run a bit short. You can buy the extra-long trimable inserts that are backed by the slim metal reinforcements from most auto parts suppliers. The ones I picked up today from Advance Auto (the 17's I got from O'Reilly's recently were a tad short and useless) are 7 mil. wide--about perfect--and come about 22 inches long or so in a 2 pack. The slim metal backing is equipped with break-off marks every inch. Install them and snap 'em off where you need to. The tool of choice are needle nose pliers with wire cutter to cut the rubber. The flex snap retainer holds insert at one side only, but they won't slip out unless you buy the 5 or 6 millimeter wide ones (too thin. read the package). You should not (EVER?) have to clamp the claws narrower to hold the insert fast. Only if your aftermarket inserts are too thin.

Hey, they are wiper blades and not always worth a trip to the dealer.

·
Miserable
702 Posts
What... no way in hell.. stay with toyota, there alot better. I have new blades on my 86 they are just awesome and if you wont to save a trip, get some inserts order from mark.. :duh:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The Drivers side is 18" Passenger is 14".

Insert is Trico 43-180 Driver Side, 43-140 Passenger. That's what is on my car from my records. See if those fit. Trico is pretty easy to find. This works if someone has replaced your original blades in the past and the Toyota rubber inserts won't fit. This will be the rubber + the metal strip that holds the rubber and it will slide in the wiper arm prongs.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
um, a rubber insert from toyota shouldn't run you more than $10. If it does, you are getting anally raped without lube.

The wiper blade (full assembly without the linkage), for all of em, yeah i can see it running $30.
i was qouted off the top of my head, just checked my debit account, look's like i spent just over ten bucks(11.11), w/ cs.com pricing. would roughly cost around 17 w/ out cs.com pricing or so.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
k.thx... my blades are completely shot. I should have been able to figure all this out on my own since i knew my Civic better than the back of my hand, but ever since i went through horrible relationship problems a few years ago, i've been f#$ked in the head and just can't remember things like i should. Epic failure in the brain dept. here! lol!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btw...i wanted the rain-x blade because they have that plastic curve to them, so when u are driving fast and it's raining, they stay pressed down on the windshield. same with the upper end bosch blades...aerodynamically designed to stick to the windshield under speed. where i live there is horrible winds and massive thunderstorms during the (seemingly) 5 months that are NOT winter...lol...South Dakota sucks! I ALWAYS have problems with the blades pulling up under high winds..so it doesn't completely swipe the whole glass.

BUT, i'll try the toyota blades, and if i'm not happy, i'll do something different. i'm only out 10-20 bucks at most.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I bought my replacements from PepBoys. Forgot what I bought, some cheap crap. I thought I was buying the wrong thing at first, cause I couldn't get it in the insert. I checked the tabs the insert sit on and one was bent, bent so bad you couldn't get an insert in. I showed the guy in the store and he bent it out for me (I didn't have anything to bend it with). So I've been on these blades for a while now, I'll go with Toyota next since I'm hearing so much from you guys about them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My Trico's have been excellent in every way and cheap too. They fit the stock Toyota arm with not too much fuss, and look completely stock except the metal rubber holder is stainless, not flat black.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i bought some trico's and i took the stainless part out...couldn't get them in with the metal...it kept sliding out the end. they fit fine and i haven't had any problems....yet.. haven't had a true nasty thunderstorm yet this year.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If all you're looking for is inserts, check with Mark at McCord's Vancouver Toyota. They are available for about three or four bucks. Stock inserts and no hassle. They slip right in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bought new blades (driver & pass) plus spare inserts from Mark for less than $40 including shipping (which was unusually higher since I apparently live out in the boonies) Work great, look great, and helped out a vendor.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Use Rain-X (solvent, not blades) and you don't need wipers at speed (50+ mph)

If metal rubber holder is missing then tie inserts down with a very small dab of RTV

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My drivers side wiper arm broke, and I swapped them out with Celica GTS arms problem solved, and no problem replacing blades.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts