Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
this is why bmw's scare me.

99% of them are leased and owners don't need to care. not uncommen for the car to have almost as many owners as the years it is old.

good cars for hte most part, but can't trust the owners

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I've seen lots of Bimmers over the years that blow blue smoke out the tailpipe. Now I have a pretty good idea as to why that is. :rolleye:

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
All new BMWs come with three years service included with the purchase or lease. So there's no excuse for no service. Then again I wouldn't hesitate to say it's not just BMW owners that don't service their cars... reason why I prefer to purchase new cars, cash.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
they have to be serviced every 1000 or 1500 miles, just read the label, what a dumbass, anyway i have no idea how much it will cost you an oil change at the dealer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Holy f*cking wow. What else can you say about this? This guy should be whipped to death, or at least near death, with a dipstick.. Or maybe lashed to a medievel rack-type device so random car guys could shoot paint gun pellets filled with (boiling) oil sludge at him at point-blank range.

Just so he would know how his poor engine feels. Can anyone else think of some deserving punishments?

·
Registered
515 Posts
EPIC!

My girl friend has a newer Mini Cooper and the dealership would charge her the same as they charge the BMW cars that come in (if it was out of the maintenance program). Last time I checked it was like $100 for full synthetic & a filter :inout7xr:

But on the flip side, I'd rather purchase a used car that has been taken to the dealership every time, and documented either electronically and/or with receipts. Rather than little nephew Johnie changing the oil with some walmart special and no filter, and pocketing the rest of the cash...

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
I have a good story about neglecting service. My friend was working at a garage and a woman came in with her suburban saying that the brakes were making noise.

The technician removed the wheel to find that the front disc brakes were so worn that once the pad burned off, the backing plate followed and finally the calipers piston was contacting the disc.

You know, it just started to make noise recently.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
EPIC!

My girl friend has a newer Mini Cooper and the dealership would charge her the same as they charge the BMW cars that come in (if it was out of the maintenance program). Last time I checked it was like $100 for full synthetic & a filter :inout7xr:

But on the flip side, I'd rather purchase a used car that has been taken to the dealership every time, and documented either electronically and/or with receipts. Rather than little nephew Johnie changing the oil with some walmart special and no filter, and pocketing the rest of the cash...
funny thing, is that that's not an unreasonable price.

I did an oil change on my buddy's bmw. it took, I believe 7 qts of oil (german acastrol - castrol syntec) and the filter was $24 (fram). I remember it cost us $106 for the oil and filter alone, to do it ourself.

heck my oil change for my 7mge is around that, $13 a litre for amsoil and $27 for the amsoil filter...$80+ easy for an oil change with quality fluids...BUT I can drive all summer with that oil in the car, 12,000km is no sweat for it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got my '85 after the previous owner never put oil in it. Burnt up the 5m after 2 years. His excuse for letting it run dry was that it never leaked. I never asked why it wasn't changed either. This was an adult too not some 16 year old kid. As they say ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
515 Posts
funny thing, is that that's not an unreasonable price.

I did an oil change on my buddy's bmw. it took, I believe 7 qts of oil (german acastrol - castrol syntec) and the filter was $24 (fram). I remember it cost us $106 for the oil and filter alone, to do it our self.
It's not the most expensive, as unfortunate as it may be. A friend of mine works for Easy Lube and said full synthetic/synthetic filter for certain Mercedes were almost $200... now that can hurt the pocket!
I only mentioned my girl friends Mini being $100 because well... it's a Mini, and you'd think materials alone would be less than the BMWs. However, they do top off fluids/wash/wax/vacuum her car every time she goes in.

I'm about to change to synthetic myself. That same friend hooked it up with 6qts of Mobil One "super synthetic", and the matching high capacity filter for free. I guess Easy Lube just got bought out, and the company is changing over to the new Castrol synthetics.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bring 5 quarts of Mobil 1 -- at about $22 on sale for 5 quarts at Wal-mart --to the Subaru dealer in Mandan, ND, and they charge me $29.99 for the oil change incl. filter and a tire rotate. Plenty cheap. I bring my MR2 to them too as I don't trust the area Toyota dealers, and I'll be bringing my Supra to them too for routine maintenance. Best damn dealership I've ever been to. They help guys prep their Subarus for autoX too, even if they didn't buy the car there, and are very liberal with their warranty work from what other people have told me. I've never had to go back to have something fixed twice. They've never charged me for any uneccessary work, and have even told me when I don't need certain services I thought I did. If I ever do buy another new car, or even a used Subaru, I'll buy it from them even if it isn't the cheapest; any honest, inexpensive dealer and dealer service dept. deserves repeat business. Ressler Subaru is their name and they are 100 miles away from where I live, which in itself is testimony to how much I trust their work. The nice thing about synthetic is I only have to make the trip every 5-6k miles...

As they say, 'A good mechanic is harder to find than a good woman.' :naughty:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That shit was nasty....definitely wasn't thinkin with his dipstick.

We fight about what types of oil to use every once in a while here and I'll say this. Working at Merchant's Tire and Auto, I do my fair share of oil changes, and my fair share of repeat oil changes.

PLENTY of people are running around with 200,xxx miles on their cars, running conventional non-high mileage oil. They show up 2K or 3K miles over the 3 month/3K mile period and the engine still pumpin. I did an Expedition today with 274K (No oil leaks period) on it, ran like a champ and got plain ol' Pennzoil 5W-30 like it did it's last oil change. Of course I don't know how "new' the engines under the hood are, but still. Oil is oil, it lubricates. It also needs to be swapped out haha.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
I know at least 2 people running old Fords-a 73 Maverick, and a 79 pickup-that have never changed oil. Mavericks oil is at least 20 years/100k old, has been topped off, but not changed. Guy I used to work with at an auto parts store:32:. Newer engine designs dont like this, but the low tolerance engines from the 50s-70s seem to tolerate a lot more abuse.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I know at least 2 people running old Fords-a 73 Maverick, and a 79 pickup-that have never changed oil. Mavericks oil is at least 20 years/100k old, has been topped off, but not changed. Guy I used to work with at an auto parts store:32:. Newer engine designs dont like this, but the low tolerance engines from the 50s-70s seem to tolerate a lot more abuse.
ahh... the never ending oil change.
my first '85 p-type had this

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Don't BMW's have oil change indicator lights? The computer tells you when to change the oil and the mileage intervals vary IIRC. A testament to the durability of the BMW motor to survive that abuse no doubt.

My Tenth TA oil changes cost about $125 - $10 a quart for 15-W50 Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil (8 quarts) and a K & N filter.

A 5M oil change is peanuts by comparison; I change it twice a year (or every 1,500 miles or so).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts