Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I know this discussion has been done in the past so I dont mean to be annoying. I am in the process of boosting my car and am looking for a wideband that can datalog and/or work with MS or another form of engine management ( Not quite decided on what to get since theres alot of options). The widebands I have read about in the forums have all been replaced by newer models and I am just a bit confused now on what to get. If anyone could lead me down the best cost efficient road that would be great. Just looking for some incite on how to get the sucker tuned and setup safely with the more modern equipment. Again I am sorry to annoy anyone that may have participated in the forums before.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
If you're using any decent modern standalone you can log it from there along with pretty much anything else. The O2 sensor is feed directly to the ECU. I think they all pretty much use the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're using any decent modern standalone you can log it from there along with pretty much anything else. The O2 sensor is feed directly to the ECU. I think they all pretty much use the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor.
Awesome, thank you. Any recommendations for a standalone or piggy back that is reasonably priced. I was thinking possibly utilizing the microsquirt. All of the widebands I have seen use the Bosch 4.9 lsu sensor. Would this work?

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
I'm not really that familiar with microsquirt, but it looks very umm limited. I would highly recommend getting an ECU that does VE tuning. I think megasquirt 3 does it. It makes it world's easier to get running smoothly. You have two tables, a VE table and a desired AFR table. The ECU calculates how much fuel to inject to hit the AFR you want. Unless you're way off it will always run right on the AFR you want. You can drive around log it and watch the correction factor and then adjust it back out on the VE table the same percentage. It makes it real easy for the ECU to readjust if you change injectors, or fuel type, or fuel pressure and so forth.

If you're paying someone to tune it, it is usually smart to go with what they are familiar with. You have to balance price, support, software, and features for what works better for you. I run an Infinity 8 and its been dead reliable for several years now. ECUmaster is pretty popular with the Supra crowd. A lot of Mk4 guys run ProEFI, but its very large and doesn't really let you play with it much yourself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Awesome, thank you. Any recommendations for a standalone or piggy back that is reasonably priced. I was thinking possibly utilizing the microsquirt. All of the widebands I have seen use the Bosch 4.9 lsu sensor. Would this work?
What did you end up with? I'd only use Microsquirt on bikes where size and weight is factor. It doesn't have expansion capabilities of Megasquirt.

WIdeband I really really like after trying 5 others is TechEdge from OZ.. It's only one I know that's fully digital and extremely accurate. Most others have analogue output and not as precise. In fact, the LM1's analogue gauge didn't even have fixed reference-voltage, so the numbers it displayed changes with battery-voltage, even though actual AFR is the same.

TechEdge also has on-board datalogging, so makes it much, much easier to tune. Do several runs at different loads, don't worry about staring at gauge. Then download data and analyse AFR in 100rpm increments at your leisure. Adjust maps accordingly. Very simple and easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts