Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting back together my white car (posted pics on pics section) and at first the idle is good, right a 650 rpm's. However, after it warms up it ill either go up to 1K rpms then when i drive it it drops to 500-600 rpms. The car then kinda misfires, or misses. it shakes way too much.
I have checked my wires, timming and spark plugs. they are ok

my only conclusions are that the plastic intake might be cracked and causing some air leaks. any one know of any possibilities?

hummm I might have to buy an intake pipe soon :twisted:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Two easy ways to check for intake leaks..

One, spray each joint with starting fluid. If ya have a leak, your motor will rev a bit.

The second is very similar, but ya use a cigarette (not that I condone smoking) and just hold it near the joints or anywhere you think is broken. If its leaking, it should draw the smoke towards it.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imma try the starting fluid to see whats up.

<---hate the smell of cigarette. but very creative way of finding air leaks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I Hate cigarettes, but love pipes and cigars...so go figure... lol. I generally use the Starting fluid too. That way you can hear, rather than have to watch for even a minor little waft in the smoke... But when ya have nothing else around... ;)

Also, if ya find one, and need a temporary fix... go to the hardware store and get the glue that you use for PVC pipe. Its a good (temporary) fix.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Its a good (temporary) fix.
aka on there for 2 years until you blow the engine and replace it :D. at least, that's what I mean when I say "temporary". BTW I'd have to agree with the vacuum leak theory.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i might try that glue for now also cuz i need to smog the car soon (stupid Smog nazi state)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
go for style points and duct tape your entire plastic tubing....give the the metal apperance...i'm sure everyone will love it...that should get rid of any leaks....

·
Registered
84 Posts
yea i got that same weird idle....i was told by Joe (Solo1supra) that it could be a stuck or sticking throttle....also it could be that intake leak.....thats y i just bought the chimp intake pipe :)!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I sealed up my leaks before a got a new pipe with the wide electrical tape, it conforms to the shape and the ridges of the pipe really well and its black so it doesnt look quite as ghetto rigged as duct tape (that is unless you get the black duct tape or that new clear duct tape... best invention EVER)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jee willickers Batman they brought back a thread from the dead (04-27-2003, 06:29 PM ) 2+ years ago :runaway:

It brings back memories :sadsmilie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts