Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, before I installed the 7M, there were no strange noises coming from the drivetrain except the hum at 70 and the LSD would "sqwak" on could days before the gear oil got warmed up (probably because it needed changin'!). The car sat for 4 months, and then the 7M went in. Now, at the top of 3rd, ALL through 4th, and the bottom of 5th, there is a rattling/grinding/vibrating noise coming from down below. It only really does during non-acceleration (not accel, not decel in gear). Anyone have this problema? I am about to replace everything from the tranny back, so I guess it doesn't matter, but I sure am curious as to what it is.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I had something similiar happen with my 84. Turns out the tailshaft-housing-cross member bushings were actually broken! Easy way to check would be to support the tranny with a jack (not on X-member) and see if, when you detach the x-member from the body of the car, it actually comes off.

HTH

Nick

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Sounds like your diff. has perhaps seen better days. Does the diff. make a howling noise when you're just coasting along w/o accelerating or decelerating? If so, chances are the bearings and other internal diff. parts are worn beyond spec.. The slop in the diff. due to worn parts can cause the diff. carrier to sort of float around slightly in the housing when you're just cruising along down the highway. IOW, the slop in the diff. becomes most noticeable without much load placed on it since there's no heavy force applied to take up the slack and noise occurs as a result. Check the gaer lube in the diff.. I have a hunch that it probably looks and smells pretty nasty!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly what it sounds like Dave. That there is slack somewhere in the driveline. I changed the oil in the diff, just after I put the 7M in. The stuff that drained out was black, like molasses. AND there was only about 1/3 of a quart in there :D I put some Redline in there but I guess the couple of days with the 7M on a bad diff tore it up to no avail. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What Redline fluid did you use? Their MT90 and MTL are GL-4. Differentials need GL-5. Using a thinner fluid will also cause noise and wear.

·
Super Moderator
8,392 Posts
Use the 80w90 gear oil with the friction modifer. MTL and Mt90 are for trannies or gear boxes with no friction modifer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts