Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was just wondering, since cali is like the toughest on smog reg., does anyone know if I can turbo charge the 5mge and not have to take the turbo off or make friends with the smog tech evwery time i have to re-smog the car? you would think you could since the 7mgte is smog legal. right? :?:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
now, i dont live down there, and what i know is only from what ive read, but if you want power, your best bet is to swap in a 7mgte.

IIRC, the law is that you cannot remove ANY smog equipment, and in an engine swap case, its nice and legal if the engine being swapped in is NEWER than the car its being put into.
BUT, you also have to have all the smog equipment that the newer engine had, and this smog stuff replaces the smog stuff thats on the car.

so basically, 7mgte, and all its parts can be dropped into a MKII legally in cali, IF my understanding of the rules is right, and they havent changed.

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
celisupraman said:
Hey I was just wondering, since cali is like the toughest on smog reg., does anyone know if I can turbo charge the 5mge and not have to take the turbo off or make friends with the smog tech evwery time i have to re-smog the car? you would think you could since the 7mgte is smog legal. right? :?:
The only way you can turbo a 5M legally in CA is if you use a HKS or Spearco turbo kit. Both have CARB EO#s. Using the CT26 turbo of the 7M is "technically" illegal. The only way you could get by is to find a smog tech that doesn't know its been modded.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Technically it is illegal but practically it makes absolutely no difference in the emissions read during a standard ASM test at 15 and 25mph. If it passed the sniffer before the turbo and you make no other changes, then it will pass the sniffer after. It boils down to the visual inspection. If it were done such that it looked factory, you might get away with it but then thats a gamble. In Cali and most any other smog state, 7m-gte is the way to go - legal, factory engineered, and more power potential.

Phil D.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks a lot. i wanted to turbocharge the 5mge but i guess its pretty useless in cali. anyone know how much it would cost to put the 7mgte into an mk2? lol or where i begin to do that. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts