Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have been looking around but haven't found much info on this topic. I've heard both accounts that the W58 tranny will or will NOT fit to the 1JZ but don't know which is actually true. I know you need to use a 1JZ to W58 bell housing, but do I need to get W58 tranny out of another car like an SC300 or Chaser? Any help would be great and I'd really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
You need a w58 2jz bell housing, flywheel and clutch. If you get the bh from a sc300/supra, you need the flywheel as well. If you grab IS300 bell housing, you need the flywheel as well. Dont mix a is300 flywheel with sc300/2upra bh or vice versa. its a spacing issue as the is300 has a dual mass flywheel that spaces the clutch further from the engine iirc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You need a w58 2jz bell housing, flywheel and clutch. If you get the bh from a sc300/supra, you need the flywheel as well. If you grab IS300 bell housing, you need the flywheel as well. Dont mix a is300 flywheel with sc300/2upra bh or vice versa. its a spacing issue as the is300 has a dual mass flywheel that spaces the clutch further from the engine iirc.
Are you should about this? I'm not 100% on this but I thought that the flywheel spacing was made up in the pressure plate. I'm not sure which bellhousing I have (but I think they are the same), but I run an SC flywheel with an IS clutch. I doesn't work out of the box, but I spaced the clutch fork pivot out and use a longer slave pushrod to compensate.

But to answer OP, no, you do not need to get a different transmission. The newer W58's are rumored to be a little stronger, but I know my stock one hasn't blown up yet.

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
The difference is the length/depth of the bell housings matching with the thickness of the flywheels. Clutch is likely the same for all 3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you should about this? I'm not 100% on this but I thought that the flywheel spacing was made up in the pressure plate. I'm not sure which bellhousing I have (but I think they are the same), but I run an SC flywheel with an IS clutch. I doesn't work out of the box, but I spaced the clutch fork pivot out and use a longer slave pushrod to compensate.

But to answer OP, no, you do not need to get a different transmission. The newer W58's are rumored to be a little stronger, but I know my stock one hasn't blown up yet.
Ok, I wasn't sure what was true or not as I've heard people argue both sides. I plan on keeping it stock right now. I just want to get it running before I do anything else.

·
Registered
207 Posts
DM492 1JZ/2JZ to W58 Bell Housing

DM153 ARP 1JZ/2JZ Flywheel Bolts

DM123 1JZ/2JZ Bell Housing Bolt Set

DM757 R154/W58 Bell Housing to Transmission Bolt Set

DM1606 Dowel Pin For R154 And W58 Flywheel

DM1194 W58 Clutch Release Bearing for SC300/MK4/IS300

DM758 W58 Clutch Fork for 2JZ-GE MK4/SC300/GS300

DM493 1JZ/2JZ W58 Flywheel

DM759 W58 For fork support

DM901 Pressure Plate Bolt Set W58

DM12 1JZ/2JZ Rear Main Seal, Factory Toyota

DM293 Pilot Bearing

·
Super Moderator
8,166 Posts
FWIW you can buy all these parts at any Toyota/Lexus dealer. They are OEM Toyota parts for the Mk4 Supra NA and Lexus SC300

1 - 12 of 12 Posts