Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Haven't been frequent to the forum in a while due to... you know life? Thought I would give a little update if anyone is interested or has questions. Who knows, make I can even help some folks again!

So here is how she sits now, as beautiful as ever! I've done a lot in the last few years! Still the same car I bought in 2008. Here is a horrible photo for reference haha.

The 7m swap has come quite a ways since I've last posted photos and still a lot more to come in the next few weeks even!

As you all can tell I certainly have some more cleaning up to do in the engine bay but shes certainly getting there! Couple of my more proud things are as follow.

The Drive by wire conversion. I bought this horrible FFIM from a member on the facebook group and had a god aweful time trying to get a decent looking throttle cable setup then my everlasting issues with 7m IACV's so I just gave up. Chopped off the oem flange and welded on a 350z flange and bought a Z throttle body for $30 from a junk yard. Literally the hardest part was finding a decent wiring schematic to figure out how to wire the damn thing in! Once I got that all figured out the pedal was next. found the pedal for $25 shipped from another junk yard from a Honda civic. Again finding wiring for that wasn't easy... Luckily with the AEM infinity setting them up was literally a piece of cake! It's pretty interesting what you can do with the AEM and tuning of the throttle body to pedal communication. Plus I will NEVER have idle issues again! I do have a lot of AEM goodies from sensors, to CD7 dash, to GPS speedo with Roll/Pitch/Yaw sensors. But the interior I don't dare show at this current state...

Getting a different turbo is of course on my to do list but for the time being the 57 trim ct26 does the job and gets the smiles per gallon I want. Soon enough I will probably get a GTX-660 or something similar and modern to compliment the setup.

I do love having the stock o2 sensor on top because I always tell people I converted it to bluetooth haha!

I was pretty pumped about getting the diff and transmission all powder coated too since I'm always pulling it or doing something down under. Makes my life much easier in the long run. Along with the rear subframe powder coated of course after the Camber mod brackets were installed.

The top view you can certainly see some of the wiring goodies. Coil pack plate was just a 3" chunk of aluminum I purchased for cheap, used my other head to line up where the holes would be drilled and boom, cheap easy COP cover. They are F20 coil packs, which again are decently cheap and available anywhere which I like. I made a little sub harness that goes under it and has a 8 pin connector at the back of the head going into the main harness for easy removal during spark plug changes. You can also see the Injector Dynamic's 1000cc injectors hiding in this photo too.

The ports on the bottom of the mainfold were pretty bad and had to drill them out and re tap to even be able to put plugs in. Looking back I kinda wish I would have combined and separated the harness is more "stages" but it was my first engine harness build, so BACK OFF.

Under all that hides these purdy VW knock sensors that read a more thorough band of frequencies and really helps to further fine tune the engine. Much MUCH better than the oem one wire garbage Toyota put on these darn 7m's. Luckily with a 2jz knock sensor stud from the local dealership this was pretty seamless.

The poor drivetrain has seen a lot of work as well. I have pretty much just replaced and upgraded things as they have broken, which has been a lot.... I don't have photos of it but i love the Driftmotion 1310 billet yokes they sell. Mated that to 1 piece driveshaft which goes to the mk2 to mk3 adapter flange for more beef. The diff has been the pain of my life though I swear. I'm not that mean to it but have been through so many of them it seems like! I finally got a TruTrac with a 3.73 and seems to be holding up to all my abuse!

Well I feel this pretty much catches it up to speed! I will have more updates as my good arrive in the next 2-3 weeks and move forward with making this 7m "reliable" and fun!

Hopefully this gets everyone excited to build and learn new skills. Like me making an engine harness...

<3 my supra fam

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
YAY! Another build! Please continue!
Powder coat? You are a perfectionist. We ALL approve. Most impressive.
My '85 has no knock sensor.10 * is OK.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Very well done. Would love to see more pics/info on your pedal install as I'm tempted to do the exact same thing in my car. Drive by wire seems like a magic bullet if you're running standalone.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YAY! Another build! Please continue!
Powder coat? You are a perfectionist. We ALL approve. Most impressive.
My '85 has no knock sensor.10 * is OK.

Thank you! I'm getting there baby steps at a time. Its been a long process obviously due to funds. The next huge task is the interior which I'm not looking forward to.... Maybe I will just get a BBK instead ;)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very well done. Would love to see more pics/info on your pedal install as I'm tempted to do the exact same thing in my car. Drive by wire seems like a magic bullet if you're running standalone.
I'm at work right at this moment but I guarantee you're going to laugh when you see how stupid easy it was... The only thing I really need to do is make a stopper and actually mount the pedal. Right now it just sits on the carpet which works "fine". I'm about to get new carpet from stockinteriors I think and when I do i will have a legit pedal mount and cut a little slice in the carpet and pull the top half through so it looks more at home. I'm more than happy with it besides the difficulty of finding schematics. I mean it wasn't that hard, but it seems like it would be more accessible information in this day and age, right?

·
Whistles
1,053 Posts
Very nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts