Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been restoring my supra over the last 4 years or so and finally decided to do a write up on my past and future progress.

I bought my car back in 2004 and drove it around for a year before i decided i wanted to fix it up. There was a little bit of rust showing up outside the rear flares, so i thought if i just got rid of this and had it repainted i would have a sweet looking supra. That was my first understatement on this project, the more parts i removed, the more rust i found to repair and the more i repaired the more parts i would take off the car. This led to the point where there is not a single bolt, nut or rubber plug remaining on the car (100% stripped down). Pictures later on.

I entered this project without any hands on experience in bodywork but figured it out pretty quickly as i went along. I found that the further along i got at repairing the rust the more critical i became of the work i had done. This meant that there are some parts of the car that have been done twice (ie I patched some of the 1/4 panel holes only to find mint rust free complete 1/4 panel later on) I'm not going to bother showing pictures of the early repairs but will focus on what i did in the end.

ok here we go

This is my car when i bought it on the left with my buddies on the right

This is some early on pictures of the teardown.

My car was originally and automatic and i wasn't interested in keeping her that way so one of the first things i did was tracked down the upper clutch bracket and shifter opening.

Upper bracket welded in

shifter opening panel removed along factory seams

Manual opening fitted in place

I was not a fan of trimming the opening for the shifter and having a bigger hole than the boot would cover. So i swapped out the opening with the properly positioned hole from a 5-speed car.

The next task i undertook was to replace the rad support. The original one on the car was crumpled on the passenger side where the fender and bumper cover meet (and here was rust). Replacing the rad support with a straight one also allowed me to remove the engine and transmission the lazy way.

Here is the new one installed. coincidentaly also black.

The next thing on the list was the common problem of a rusty battery shelf from a leaky battery. I found a mint one at the wreckers and popped that baby on using the original seams.

The progress shown so far dates back a couple of years now but i'll get caught up over the next couple posts.

More to follow

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part deux

OK where was I?

After spending a little time collecting parts i came across a young man in Calgary by the name of Keegan (some of you may have hear of him.....). Well he had on his possession a pair of mint and complete rocker panels that he brought back on one of his road trips and was dieing to get rid of them. This was a lucky break for me and it allowed me to return my rusty rockers to their original glory.

Here you can see my old ones with my early attempts at repairing the rotten rear section.

Hidden rust on the inner layers of the old passenger rocker

After some wirewheeling, cut and patching and application of Weldable Zinc rich primer

The new one stripped down and ready to mount

Installed

You can see that i had originally used part of the 1/4 panel that came with the rocker (this will be replaced later on with the complete 1/4 panel swap)

Part 3 to follow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part 3

At abour this point in time last year, I decided that i needed to source out some good 1/4 panels. I searched high and low and settled on my only option and a great option i might add. The world famous Junkie provided the 1/4 panel you will see in this thread (can't thank him enough). So i drove my Tacoma from Calgary to washington state and picked up more parts than you can shake a stick at. Man they have some great condition parts in the PacNW. Word from the wise don't bring a bunch of used car parts across the border with a hand written receipt, they really frown appon that.

Before i show the 1/4 panel replacement here are some pictures of the driver side rocker panel replacement.

Neat inner shot looking back into the cross-section of the rocker.

This was what i used to have for rust on the driver side

New rocker panel mounted and removal of 1/4 panel begining.

And now some of the prep work, had to replace some of the rusty seam.

New one getting ready for surgical reattachment.

After many rounds of test fitting

Ther we go, all mounted now

Looks pretty easy.....eh.

Well it was but it took forever to do.

More to come.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Holly Shit! you must like to weld. "surgical reattachment." very funny.
I know I would have found another car. Lots of work - good job - you're committed - or should be. lol

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
props for all the hard work. i know none of that is easy to do. i wish i had the time/money to do another project like that, but i dont right now. keep up the good work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I've always wanted to restore a car from the ground up, but never thought it would be this early in life or even with this car. It just happened to "snow ball" as i fell more in love with this Supra. I know I could have gone down south to a dry state and picked up a pretty descent one, but even the descent ones from the south have a little bit of hidden rust. Even my 1/4 panels that were from a California car had a little rust (not anymore) in between the seams (from Toyota not paying enough attention to detail). It would have been harder for me to allow myself to repair a little and then repaint an entire car that was "pretty good", it's much easier when there is enough rust to justify it......atleast thats what i tell myself.

Maybe i am crazy.

like Forest Gump once said, "now that i got this far, i thought might as well just keep on going. And then when i reached another ocean (Supra body panel) I turned around and just kept on running (welding).........or something close to that.

I'm about halfway to being caught up with my cars current progress. I'll ad some more tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
There is not too many persons undertaking such cutting and welding !
You sure are talented to do so well !

·
Registered
518 Posts
AMAZING!! is all I have to say. Serious dedication over there and for it being your first time doing body work you're doing pretty good. Bet you had to do a good deal of research to get this going, body work wise and all, that is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.

My favorite saying has always been "Don't wreck them, restore them"...

I had a teacher in college who told me about a car he worker on a few years before. He said he took two halves of a 2003 Miata and put them together by drilling out all the tack welds along the seams and filling the holes with his Mig welder. This was all i really had for knowledge on panel replacement, I did a little research on welding techniques but that was all. The rest I taught myself. My teacher went a little far though, he even took a punch afterward to the steel and give it the indented tack weld look. I won't be doing that.

the next update will be what i did to the spare tire well area.

·
Registered
298 Posts
fark dude... totally awesome ill be watching this resto.. keep up the good work:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spare tire well

Ok, as promised here is some more on my restoration.

I can't seem to find any good pictures of the spare tire well prior to repair, you'll have to trust me it was not worth keeping. The picture below kind of gives an idea of the rust.

Originally i had no idea as to how i was going to tackle this repair, but thanks to Junkie who was able to provide this piece at the same time as the 1/4 panels. Unfortunately this floor section was to be scrapped so it was not idealy cut from the car. No biggy, it just meant it would require some additional welding to stitch 3 separate pieces together as seen below.

The floor was removed to match the piece that was to replace it.

I drilled out the seam along the back of the car in order to properly insert the floor in between the upper and lower rear fascia.

This required a lot of test fitting and trimming to match them up

Preping my frame rails

And below is what it currently looks like

Passenger quarter panel replacement to follow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Passenger quarter panel replacement

This one was a mirror image to the drivers side........no joke, but it did go much faster as I was getting efficient by this point.
Here you can see the rust that had eaten away at my passenger 1/4 panel.

The rust was so bad that I just had to kick it and it fell right off.....well not quite, but here it is removed.

bonus rust

New one mounted

Next will be upper windsheild corners

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Upper windsheild corners

These corners are a tight radius and i would have found it hard to duplicate so i got new ones off the same silver car.

On the drivers side it was pretty bad so i ended up replacing most of the front face of teh A-pillar as well as the upper corner.

upper piece ready to weld

Ready for filler.

Passenger side only required the replacement of the corner piece

Ok onto the next item.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Black powder is great

Well before i can send the car off to the paint shop i thought i would redo all the suspension components.

First i replaced the rear sway bar tabs with the thicker one form George.

Then bundled up some parts to get powder coated

And there back

New super-pro bushings from George.

Now i just need to finish the undercarriage so i can mount these babies.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just WOW! A very impressive restore project. As someone with no previous experience that just recently went through some (not as extensive) of what you are going through I have nothing but respect for you. You're attention to detail is impressive. Powder coating the undercarriage was a nice touch. I can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the great work.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts