Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently there is an Internet virus that is causing many computer systems to crash and then restart - evidently this problem began this morning sometime. It appears to be only effecting Win NT based products (Win NT 4.0 / Win 2000 / Win XP).

This is generally identified by an "NT Authority" error message referencing "svchost.exe" or "wowexec.exe".

Recently Microsoft and the media in general alerted the public to visit the Microsoft website and download a patch for your operating system here: http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

Once the latest Critical Updates are installed, your system will be immune to the worm that is currently causing your system to reboot.

My phone has been ringing off the hook today, and a friend of mine who owns a local computer store has been bombarded with customers having this problem.

Hope this helps!

-Stephen
___

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This update was available via WindowsUpdate, yes?

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Gotta love Micro$oft. They keep network-security consultants in business!!

"Avoid the Gates of hell. Run Linux."

Sorry, couldn't help it!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Malibyte said:
Gotta love Micro$oft. They keep network-security consultants in business!!

"Avoid the Gates of hell. Run Linux."
Actually, vulnerabilities in Microsoft operating systems have decreased in rate while Linux vulns have increased. Many of the virii that have run around are due to unpatched systems. At least the patches are out there and easily accessible for Microsoft OS's

Linux is very insecure. If you want a secure OS you need to run OpenBSD.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Actually, vulnerabilities in Microsoft operating systems have decreased in rate while Linux vulns have increased. Many of the virii that have run around are due to unpatched systems. At least the patches are out there and easily accessible for Microsoft OS's

Linux is very insecure. If you want a secure OS you need to run OpenBSD.
Quick:

I will grant you that a lot of the malware that's flying around the 'net right now IS due to unpatched M$ systems. Most (not all) *nix users and admins are a bit more savvy when it comes to security - also, open-source patches seem to become available much more quickly. Nevertheless, permissions on WIn2K/XP systems tend to be more lax than on Linux or *BSD. Most of the "insecurity" seen with Linux has been due to the fact that lazy admins tend to allow the distros to install/leave servers running which are unneeded, and/or using the "default" firewall scripts which come with RedHat and others. All it takes is a bit of knowledge - set up the system correctly, use reasonably decent security tools, and apply patches in a timely fashion.

I have been running Linux servers out of my home for five years, utilizing my own firewall scripts (http://www.malibyte.net/iptables/scripts/fwscripts.html) in addition to other NID tools. Haven't been cracked, DOS'd, etc., yet.....(oops, shouldn't say that, bad karma)!!

-- Bob --

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Sorry to you non-microsoft OS users, but that "its more secure" comment is straight bullshit. The second that Linux or MacOs becomes the majority OS out there, they will recieve the great number of attacks that windows based machines do. Really, why the hell are you going to code a whole big sweet virus that is only going to hurt 5% of the people, instead of 95%?

--BillyM
My boss is a hard-headed mac user. It pushes my buttons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:D The patch works - my comp was crashing and rebooting so fast I didn't have time to download. I finally got some time, downloaded and I don't have any problems anymore. I love it when a plan comes together!

·
Registered
109 Posts
how do you know if it is xp 32 bit or 64 bit please help i dont wanna get infected

never mind i figured out it is xp home edition so it is 32 bit

sorry bout the post

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
suprarox85 said:
how do you know if it is xp 32 bit or 64 bit please help i dont wanna get infected

never mind i figured out it is xp home edition so it is 32 bit

sorry bout the post
All home PCs use the 32 bit version of Win XP. The 64 bit version would apply to a server (usually) - XP home and XP pro are both 32 bit operating systems....which you already figured out.

So many of my neighbor's computers have gotten slammed with this W32.blaster.worm virus...should keep me busy for a while. And when the variants of the virus start, it will likely start all over again.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I think the 64 bit Os only applies to the new 64bit motherboard/cpu combos that will be coming out very very shortly. Actually saving my pennies for the next AMD/Via combo...

--BillyM

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
I may be mistaken, but I think the 64 bit Os only applies to the new 64bit motherboard/cpu combos that will be coming out very very shortly. Actually saving my pennies for the next AMD/Via combo...
You are right. I personally wouldn't buy any 64-bit stuff until it matures if I were you.

I'm saving my money for a track day in September and Half-Life 2 and a new video card. :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
_HOT_M16 said:

--BillyM
According to what I read on CNET's website, currently the only machines that would actually be using the 64 bit version of Win XP would be servers.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will run on the Intel® ItaniumTM processor as the platform for servers and eventually workstations who are reaching the memory limits of 32-bit systems. The key difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP-based computing lies in the 64-bit version’s ability to use much more system memory. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will initially support up to 16 gigabytes of RAM and up to eight terabytes of virtual memory. Physical memory support will grow in the future as hardware capabilities expand. Data in memory is accessed thousands of times faster than it is on a disk drive, offering a tremendous performance benefit for applications that are developed to use this greater system memory. In addition, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition has been designed to take advantage of the superior floating point capabilities of the Itanium processor.
You are correct...the new 64 bit MBs and CPUs are on their way - and I agree with Chris, like anything new...I'd wait a bit. That's a pretty big jump going from 32 bit architecture to 64 bit.

·
Registered
792 Posts
And for those of you who can't seem to find any tools to fix this wonderful virus, I've included a link to a standalone virus removal tool from Symantec:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

save it to your hard drive, run the proggie, and if you haven't patched your system yet, it will ask you if you'd like to be taken to the patch.
Seems that a few of my machines at the office caught the virus and I spent an hour installing the patch, but that doesn't remove the virus, it just disables it. There should be 3 files that this tool removes.
Also, it doesn't matter if you run this before or after you've installed the patch.

Enjoy!
Chris

·
Registered
225 Posts
MSBlaster

Is this the same as MSBlaster that will swamp Microsoft Update website with data from all infected computers and servers in order to knock the website out? I've been hearing a lot about that MSBlaster. It is a category 4 on Symantec now. Check www.symantec.com to read more on this one.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes. Too bad people don't patch their systems.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have had lots of trouble loging on.
I now installed Norton anti 2002 and Norton Ghost/rider2003 and Firewall
But now I find my old PC slow......
Question do I need to have Norton to download this symantic link you gave us..?
Can I uninstall all of Norton and just try this link to fix it.... If so it would speed up my PC.back to what it was. :(

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
no you don't need norton on to run the fix for the worm virus. Are you sure you have it though? I thought it only affected cable or adsl users. Your computer is probably running slow because of the new software you installed. Norton is pretty system intensive.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
No -- it affects modem users as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes I had it installed, and it seemed to slow down my pc alot when the live update starts running?
Thanks guys so I guess I should remove Norton if it keeps giving me troble. but so far so good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts