Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off hello, my name is David and I live in Oregon. I'm new to the coolness that is the Mk II. I just bought a 1983 celica supra with 89,000 miles on it. Its in good shape but it was not kept in a garage. So 20 years of weather has taken its toll.

The paint is pretty shabby looking and the black rubber molding around the windows is cracked and missing in places. So what I want to know is how can I fix that? Can I get new rubber molding strips from somewhere? And also the front black bumper has wierd spider web looking cracks in it. Is the only way to fix that to just find a bumper in better shape in a salvage yard? :?

I really want to get my car looking nice and its clear just a new paint job won't cut it. So any advice or help would be great! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,367 Posts
Your best bet is replacement on the mouldings if they are cracked. You should still be able to get new ones from Toyota. They aren't very cheap though. I assume the ones that are cracked are the one under the side window and the windshield (most common to do this). If so the drivers door one is ~$100, the quarter window one is ~$60, the side windshield ones are ~$40, and the top windshield one is ~$60. If you want the best deal on factory parts I'd call up Jeff Watson at 1-800-327-2087 and tell him you are a SOGI member. On the bumper it souns like somebody hit something with the corner of the bumper. The paint is cracked so I would have it repainted if there is no physical damage to the bumper. If you are lucky the spider webs are only in the black part of the bumper and you could just repaint that area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes! That is pretty spendy, being how I am just a poor college student. So I guess I better start saving. Also I don't think the bumper was hit by anything. Because there is no real impact spot. Also the cracks in the bumper kind of look like they aren't so much cracks but instead where the plastic has pealed back in a spider web. It looks like the sort of damage you get from sun exposure (repeated heating and expansion). I wonder if I could sand it smooth and paint it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is two toned like most 83's I've seen. The main body color is sort of a rust redish orange. And the back hatch and bumper is black. I think I'm going to get the whole car repainted black sometime (maybe once I get a better job). :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the same dilema here with my car. The weather stripping on the entire car is toasted...all of it :shock: So Im not sure that I want to spend ~$500 to fix this, is there any other way or aftermarket vendor that is cheaper in selling all the stripping?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I want to replace most of the weather stripping in the '82 when i get it because the hatch leaks... i think.

I just want to be safe.

there MUST be aftermarket generic stripping you cna put on...

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car has a very strange look since someone has repainted the whole front from the doors and forward. The problem is that the original paint is oxidated and is looking more winered than red now, so it has two colors kind of heh. half car is clear red and the rest is ...well not even a color ;)
I'm also planning on re-painting the whole car some day when i have the money for it..

·
Registered
195 Posts
I really want to get my car looking nice and its clear just a new paint job won't cut it. So any advice or help would be great!
You know, you'd be surprised what you can find at the junk yards. My '83 Blupra now sports a spotless hatch from an 85 (equiped with newer style spoiler an all). The original hatch would have cost way more to fix then to replace. On my '86 I replaced side mouldings and rear tailights with used parts, all of which in surprisingly great condition! Sometimes you really have to look hard, other times you need to ask around on the forums, but you should be able to find the parts you need at an acceptable price from the used market. Getting new parts is great (if still available, many internal parts like glove box door are no longer available) but can be very expensive!!!

As for the front bumber, it sounds like it's just paint damage. Even if not, a decent body shop should have no problem fixing it up for you.

- Mike

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Usagisama 83' said:
My car is two toned like most 83's I've seen. The main body color is sort of a rust redish orange. And the back hatch and bumper is black. I think I'm going to get the whole car repainted black sometime (maybe once I get a better job). :)
Gonna repaint it black eh? My Mk2 is an '83, same color as yours.

I guess another Terra Cotta Mk2 bites the dust.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
r

Well just saw you guys need some parts I have totally stripped a car down to every nut and bolt and have all those parts you need in very good condition. The car was garaged kept before totalled so if you need some stuff email me I really need to unload this syuff before I get stupid and replace my car with it email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any chance of getting you to post a detailed listing of what you have available in the "For Sale" section. You would probably get a lot more traffic there. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts