Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know how to get old tint off? the stiff on my 83 is cracked and bubbled and i wanna get it off, i heard that soapy water and a razor blade will do it. any suggestions?

·
Registered
792 Posts
yes, soapy water(in a squirt bottle) and a razor blade will take it off just fine. I'd suggest leaving the car in the sun for the day, and once it gets really toasty in there, start peeling the plastic off by hand.
For the rear window, peel all the plastic off slowly, you'll probably leave most of the glue on the window. Take some 00 steel wool (get it from Home Depot in their paint section) and with a lot of soapy water sprayed on the window, start scrubbing lightly. The glue will come off but not the rear defroster grid.
Enjoy, its a stinky, dirty, aggravating job-I know, I tinted for a shop in Des Moines for a year (and several prior years back home in Honolulu) before I lost my mind!!! :shock:
Chris

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
there are several methods to do it, but flyins is probably among the best.

once you try it and get frustrated, dont forget you were warned, lol

ive got a tint removal coming up soon, but i might just leave it for the poor guy whos doing the new tint...

yes, im a jerk like that... :D

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I used a hair drier and a razor for my passenger and driver side windows. And Lots of soapy water sprayed on the window and a steel wool for the rear. Its a stinky and frustrating job, be ready to pull your hair out at some point. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
792 Posts
You'll make more of a mess with Goo Gone. The only way to get it done properly and without a whole lotta mess is with the blade and soapy water. Use dishwashing soap for it, not a whole lot, just enough to feel the water as being "slippery"(small squirt and fill up the bottle with water).
As for leaving it to someone else Dogstar, I dunno who's doin' it for you, but we used to charge almost the same price to take the tint of as we did to put new tint on!
I tried using alcohol once, worked real well till I almost passed out in the back seat from the mixture of fumes and heat! This would NOT BE RECOMMENDED!!!
Really, the side windows will go pretty fast and won't be much of a problem at all. Make sure you get your razor blade down under the rubber seals for your front windows, as the glue will be right under there and make your window stick when you roll the window down on really hot days. Home Depot sells a Stanley brand scraper for cheap.

Oh yeah, make sure you got a roll or two of paper towels, they're great for putting that slimy glue once you scrape it off the window.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh boy. Hope your hands are ready for a workout! My hands were sore from holding that darn razor. At some points I used a pair of pliers to hold the razor to reach underneath the rubber. I took me 3+ PITA hours just to get the 5 windows done. There will be NO next time. I'd rather pay to have them taken off.

P.S. Make sure your hand doesn't accidentally slip while scraping off the tint. New razors are SHARP...ask me how I know! :mad:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
flyin... the guy whos doing my tint has been a friend of my coworker since childhood, and my coworker is being the middleman for a great deal.

240 for tint removal and replacement.
the guy may also do side windows, even though hes not supposed to. :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
:evil: Move to arkansas we can tint, backs, sides, doors, top 8 inches of windshields. :D :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
man, I was in mexico... the ALL windows in those damn lowriders are so damn dark you cant even see out of em in the daytime.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the advice i think i will use the hot day/soapy water/razor trick flyin suggested, it really sounds like fun!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
talking about windows i almost had to kill the gf. I was washing my car and drying it off. I went in to get a drink and saw her spraying windex on the inside of the windsheild. The car had been in the sun all morning, i screamed nooooooooooo and ran up grabbed the hose and sprayed the inside of the window.

At my work a girl came in the other day and had let the windex bake on her window, it still never came off......although i need a new windshield it has a crack that runs all the way along the bottom.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've had to do some scraping of window tint made me want to go out and buy new glass instead......

PITA!!!

will

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
trdmkii said:
talking about windows i almost had to kill the gf. I was washing my car and drying it off. I went in to get a drink and saw her spraying windex on the inside of the windsheild. The car had been in the sun all morning, i screamed nooooooooooo and ran up grabbed the hose and sprayed the inside of the window.
Gera,

Let me see if I understand this correctly...you sprayed a hose INSIDE your car onto your windshield?

Bro - you're kidding me, right?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well windex on tint is not good for the tint, i will never come off right and it may even bring off the tint

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
SupraRacer007 said:
Gera,

Let me see if I understand this correctly...you sprayed a hose INSIDE your car onto your windshield?

Bro - you're kidding me, right?
No man i'm not kidding, lol, i swear when windex is sprayed onto a burning hot winshield it forms a nasty layer that is near impossible to get off, but yes i took the hose and did 2 short bursts on the glass then wiped it off with a towel and chamois, the only things close. Really didn't get anything else wet but the winshield and some water speckles on the dash...i know its stupid but i was desperate.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
if you folks want a good glass cleaner, try going to your local lenscrafters and asking for a bottle of cleaner...

get a lil bottle and try it on an unseen corner of the window first, they may use different formulas in different areas, but the stuff my store carries, "nf6000" works like a charm on tint.

spray it on, wipe it off.

be warned, it wont be cheap to use regularily, but perhaps just before a show, or when some kid gets nasty fingerprints on your windows. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts