Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just thought I'd probe everyone's brain on this question. I'm planning to keep my car in stock manufacturer spec form in the interest of 20 years down the road when a stock collectible is going to be worth a premium dollar!

My question is, do you think window tinting is a good idea? bad? or wouldn't matter? I know I would love the looks of a white car with dark tint...but I know that stuff aint easy to remove!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I put a hatch from an 86 onto my 84 and didnt notice until I was backing up that the rear window is tinted. It is such a bitch to see at night but it does look bad ass and I would love to get the two read side windows tinted now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just tinted my MKII and love it..........You have my vote with your white MKII with black pin striping, what an awesome combination, Love white MKII's, what years is your car

Hey everyone, I just thought I'd probe everyone's brain on this question. I'm planning to keep my car in stock manufacturer spec form in the interest of 20 years down the road when a stock collectible is going to be worth a premium dolla
My question is, do you think window tinting is a good idea? bad? or wouldn't matter? I know I would love the looks of a white car with dark tint...but I know that stuff aint easy to remove!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Are you doing it for visual looks or for functional purpose? If it gets hot where you're at, yes get them tinted. Southern Cal gets quite hot and before my windows were tinted, boy did it get hot inside. After tinted, much cooler. If it's for visual, you'll have a hard time seeing at night. I have to roll my windows down to use the side mirrors. But of course mine are the darkest tint. But I look cool. Hahahahaaa......

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
my windows are tinted as well and they suck to see out of at night but i vote yes cause it would look awesome. like 7mgt-66e said just roll your windows down ;) haha

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've had tinted windows in most of my cars, but I'm leaning towards no. Especially if you're leaving your car stock - why mess with it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My answer is yes, but only if you have it done by a quality shop with a good guarantee.

It will stop 99% of UV rays, and what is it that destroys vinyl, leather and fabric interiors? UV rays.

Now - you don't want a crap job that will bubble or turn purple. That looks bad and the stuff is difficult to remove, but not impossible. I'd be concerned about removing it on the rear window with the defroster wires, but still, if you don't want your interior to rot, I say tint it. Your choice light or dark, depending on your state's tinting laws and your personal preference.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
tint it. it will save your interior. plus it minimizes heat and reduces glare on those really sunny days. my supra isnt tinted yet and it drives me nuts. personally, i like 20%, but it can kinda be a pain at night sometimes. 35% is a more classy type look, still effective, and alot easier at night. i had my parents cars done with 35% and they love it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go for it. As previously stated, a good tint product will keep harmful UV rays from destroying any interior. As well, it is a heck of a lot easier to cool down the interior (via AC) if the tint is in place. As well, today's products are very easy to apply and remove - since only water is used in the application process.

However, make damn sure you get a warranty - from a shop that has been around for years, and - more importantly - make sure the tint that is installed is absolutely legal. Any installer will have the proper tool that will read how much light is able to pass through the tint.

What is referred to as "limo" tint is okay for rear seat and back windows is pretty much outlawed in the front door windows or windshield area - in most any jurisdiction. As well, if you do choose the darkest you better make sure you have two exterior mirrors.

All in all. a personal choice - that is easily rectified, if desired. Lastly, I have found that even the lightest tint product is quite sufficient for the task - and very noticeable in its effects.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I haven't tinted my car and wasn't planning to do so, but I might have to change that attitude later on. Supras are becoming scarce which kinda makes us look cool riding around town as is, and I understand that tint adds to that, but me being me it's never been something I've thought about doing seriously.

When it's hot, I ride windows down with some sun shades, I don't care for A/C and plan to fix it for when my girl starts crying about being hot or her hair flying all over the place ha.

Keeping the dash and stuff nice is a big plus for tint (the reason I said I might have to change my thinking), and beats carrying around a shade in your car. I'm not tinted and don't carry a shade, maybe I just ain't smart haha.

I may do it one day, but I'm in no rush. I need to paint the car, need to redo the suspension, fix an exhaust leak (gotta do this before inspection), get my sounds to exactly what I want, and anything that comes in between, and THEN I'll tint it ha.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i removed the bubbled up rear window tint with some walmart bought tint remover and a razor blade. i wasnt too concerned about the defroster wires living in georgia. not too much frost around here.

i redid the tint with some 20% from advance auto parts and a black magic tint kit. it has an instructional dvd that is pretty helpful. because of the curve of the back glass i had to do mine in 5-6in strips so it would even out. did this in the middle of the summer and it hasnt bubbled up yet. its not too hard to do if you take your time and have a lot of light to see what youre doing.

if youre in the columbus georgia area i would recommend Chicos tint shop. he is good. did the tint on my gf's corolla and it looks good. guarantees his work and has been in business for years around here.

when i get the money and everything else fixed on my car i will take it to him but until then im not complaining. gonna do 20% on the rear side windows and 35% on the front windows with a thin strip at the very top and bottom of the windshield to keep some sun from blinding me and cracking my dash.

also, it is legal to tint the windshield if you have an eye problem. not that i do but just sayin. found that out in my research.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Supras look good tinted

Because we have the black pillars and black window trim, our Supras look good tinted.

When people refer to 20% or 35%, etc., that means how much light the tint allows through. 20% only lets 1/5th the normal light through, and makes it nearly impossible to see through the back at night.

Here in Washington State, the legal limit is 35%, which is a lighter tint than 20%, because it lets more light (35% light) through the tint. WA State allows a 2% "variance" so they will let us get away with 33%.

The cops got that law passed because they want to see who and what is in the car when they pull you over and approach. Limo tint on a sports car is NOT cool in their eyes, as they can't see what is going on inside as they approach, and makes them more nervous, as cops have been shot during standard pullovers. So pissing off cops is something to weigh-in as you are contemplating the "cool" factor of dark tint.

I found out out my tint is illegal at 28%. I found out because our State Patrol is running around with a new toy: after pulling you over (in my case for no front license plate) they have a two piece sensor which they put on either side of the side window. It beams a laser through the window and tint, and measures how much light gets through. Yes, that's what our tax dollars pay for here in Microsoft Land!

Anyway, check your local laws, and if you decide to risk it and go darker, do it to the back seat corner windows, but keep the front side passenger windows legal, as the cops in your area will probably eventually get the same toys, if not already. As for the rear windshield:

I REGRET getting my rear hatch window tinted so dark. Visibility really is an issue, and I desire to get my rear hatch redone with no darker than a 35%, so that I can see out of the frickin' thing at night! Especially when backing up in parking lots at night -- I'm blind! Even in the bright summertime, when we all wear shades on our eyes, your sunglasses will have a cumulative effect with the window tinting, and make rear visibility an issue unless you remove your shades. Food for thought.

I vote yes for tinting, but go 35% on the rear hatch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put 20% on all windows in my supra, it's hella dark and not quite legal but looks great and if you do 35% you'll wonder why you spent the money as there isnt much of a difference. I'd tint if the previous owner would have my dash and rear vinyl wouldnt look like a bear slapped it a few times.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'll chime in on this for a good reason, after i moved back from CO with my 84 that had what i thought was 35% tint on both side windows i was pulled over in VA (where i now live, an given a summons to go to court) they used the light measuring device and i discovered my tint was 18%, well more than legal in Virginia. So, 4 hrs of scraping and using windex ammonia to get the damn stuff off and then a court date to show I had done so.

Long story short: Check your local laws and comply with them, with the economy as shit as it is, they will use any excuse to write tickets and tint is a good quick stop. Virginia state troopers are as nazi as it gets when it come to shit like this. Also, FYI MY car was tagged and titled in west virginia where the tint was legal, if you drive through many states that may be a problem, the Judge said that i still had to comply with Virginia state laws even though I was passing through.

just a friendly FYI? B

1 - 20 of 49 Posts