Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the plastic trim pieces below the windows be taken off without breaking them or can the whole alumminum trim underneath the trim must be taken out. If so how? Do you just pry them off with a flathead or is their any other safer way? Thanks

·
Founding Member
6,605 Posts
You mean the stuff toyota calls belt mouldings? The quarter window belt mouldings are held by four plastic clips that slide front to back and engage pins protruding up from the body. To remove, use a ~2" wide putty knife and wedge it under the moulding, then slide it forward or backward until you feel it touch one of the clips. Keep pushing another 3/16" inch until you feel the clip "snap" off the pin. Repeat for each of the four clips. Shouldn't take much force. Unfortunately 3 out of 4 of these plastic clips break as they are very brittle at 20 years. New ones are available through Toyota at a whopping $4 each! I suggest you take these mouldings off every Supra and Celica at you local salvage yard and pocket the 1 out of 4 clips that don't break.

The door belt mouldings are held by some very tough steel clips and a couple of screws. Roll the window down. Remove both the upper and lower door panels. Locate and remove two tiny screws securing the moulding. With sort of an inward rolling motion, lift up on the moulding and it should come off. You may need to use the putty knife to pry the moulding a little to get it started.

Phil D.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Door belt moulding

I'm also trying to take off the door belt moulding. But be careful, it looks like theres 2 screws holding it in place. I taken off the upper door trim, but now the window appears to be in the way.

Looking at the Haynes and Chiltons. I believe you now must take take out the window to reach those 2 screws. I'm in the process and will let you know when I reach those 2.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You can take the door belt mouldings off without removing the window. I had the inside door panels off when I did mine. And I could get to the screws pretty easy. The screws will be kind of hidden in the felt. Remove the inside door panels and you should be able to get them off with out much trouble.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks guys

Yeah, thanks fellas, I saw Phil's response before I went to attempt it and thought I take some pics while I'm at it. But luckily I didn't take off the window. What a hassle that would be. I just rolled down the window like Phil said :wink:

Here's a pic of the left screw next to the glass.

Heres the right screw nicely away from the glass window. Next to the rear view mirror area.

I lost one of the 4 metal clips rippin it off, the putty knife I used helped me get started w/the 1st clip and the rest kinda popped off :)

And I was able to get it, you can see its missing the 2nd clip. I should of been more gentle when pulling it out. But heres the outside view of where those clips are hiding.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres the section im talkin about just to make sure, as you can see im missing a big piece and some other sections are chipped.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
weird, mine slide right off. the one on the door i didnt remove. the one under the rear window in that pic, i slide it towards the front of the car and it slid right off. on a side note, what paint would be best to paint the trim around the windows? the black 84 im trying to buy the paint has chipped off the trim but the rest of the car the paint is good.
william

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must have loose or broken clips on yours or their not screwed in.

By the way guys thanks for the info, I had hell of a time at the junkyard taking them off. What a bitch it is just take off those peices.

To William, probably just about any paint will work but usually it doesnt last as long since its plastic. If your just doing touchup on it use model kit paint high gloss black enamel. Buy the spray or a few of those tiny bottles they sell just about anywhere for a $1.

·
Registered
417 Posts
williamb82 might have taken the outside door pillar trim piece off 1st. Cause I think if you take this off 1st. Then they will slide out by pushing them toward's the front. I got to change some on my other car. I'm hoping I don't break the moulding clips. The belt mouldings on the doors are not really that hard. I had one else do the belt mouldings on the rear windows for me. He broke all the clips on the righ side. Then I took that pillar trim piece off and he got the other side off with breaking any of the clips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts