Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Still trying to arrange replacing Dragon's windscreen. I can get one made now, which is progress.
I'm a little hesitant around the trim though. The plastic clips are probably going to shatter the moment anyone tries to unhook them. Dragon's windscreen is original (and I am furious it cracked, all the glass is original Toyota and etched with the license plate) so it and the trim has never been removed.
I found Assorted Clips & Fasteners for Toyota & Lexus Cars - Small Hardware in another thread, but no mention of the Toyota part numbers for the clips. The TSRM also doesn't list the part numbers. Any idea which one fits the Supra?
Purely by appearance on the TSRM drawing, it looks like this is one of them: Windshield Moulding Clip 15mm X 47mm X 13mm but I could use a second pair of eyes to be sure.
The same thread also mentioned the Dam Kit to ensure the adhesive goes on nicely. Is there anything else I need that the fitters won't have available?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Here are some aftermarket PNs. Might still be available from Toyota, you wold need to dig the PNs from the EPC.

Windshield clips CP835652
Windshield fasteners CP845754

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Also the dam kit isn't needed with modern urethane install.

·
Founding Member
6,461 Posts
Its not required but it makes for a much cleaner and neater install and its the way Toyota did it so its original. Keeps glue from oozing out into the interior, sets a uniform install depth all the way around the frame and you don't see any globs where you didn't get a perfect bead (don't even think about trying it with a hand operated caulking gun and its hard enough with a pneumatic without a lot of practice). In fact, Toyota sells a lot of their windshield dam kits because custom car builders and restorers discovered them. Most glass installers don't bother only because it takes extra time to install the dam. The average driver isn't going to notice or care on their daily beater, but every detail is important when restoring classic cars. If you are not going to do it yourself, your installer will charge extra to use the windshield dam, but its worth it.

Reactions: Beernuts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi folks,
Still trying to arrange replacing Dragon's windscreen. I can get one made now, which is progress.
I'm a little hesitant around the trim though. The plastic clips are probably going to shatter the moment anyone tries to unhook them. Dragon's windscreen is original (and I am furious it cracked, all the glass is original Toyota and etched with the license plate) so it and the trim has never been removed.
I found Assorted Clips & Fasteners for Toyota & Lexus Cars - Small Hardware in another thread, but no mention of the Toyota part numbers for the clips. The TSRM also doesn't list the part numbers. Any idea which one fits the Supra?
Purely by appearance on the TSRM drawing, it looks like this is one of them: Windshield Moulding Clip 15mm X 47mm X 13mm but I could use a second pair of eyes to be sure.
The same thread also mentioned the Dam Kit to ensure the adhesive goes on nicely. Is there anything else I need that the fitters won't have available?
Gargravarr,
It looks to me like these are the Toyota clips
75546-14080 CLIP, WINDSHIELD MOULDING SET Clip, Windshield Moulding Set, NO.1 US$2.34
They still look to be available and you need 6 to make a complete set.
I've bought a set but I've not needed to use them yet. As a result I can't confirm they are the correct ones. This pretty reliable site indicates that it's the correct part for my vehicle.

75546-14080 - Toyota Parts Deal

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Still trying to arrange replacing Dragon's windscreen. I can get one made now, which is progress."
Are these windshields not available commercially, you are having one made?

·
Registered
973 Posts
"Still trying to arrange replacing Dragon's windscreen. I can get one made now, which is progress."
Are these windshields not available commercially, you are having one made?
Oh yes,

Gargravarr, You were looking into having one made by Pilkington.
You have to dish the details!

I'm sure you want to wait until you see the final product, but you've GOT to tell us more to tease us.

Supraz

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I just had new glass put in my car a couple years ago no big deal. Zero issues sourcing even with the antenna.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yea, I looked online at some of the glass guys. Most of the websites showed the windshield available, didn't try to order one, but they definitely showed availability.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I asked my glass guy if it would ever be discontinued and he said that other than 1940s and earlier, you can get glass for almost anything sold in North America. Apparently the glass is made using a process that just needs measurements and curvature, not a specific mould for each application. So once a glassmaker has that data they can always make the glass. He said sometimes it is a made to order item so there is a longer wait and more expensive. But never unavailable.

I should add that the antenna glass may disappear. He said the connector and process is pretty common but he has seen those kinds of features disappear in the reproduction glass. But that I could just run a flexible antenna along the bottom of the cowl panel or similar.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have had the windshield trim off twice, once to replace the glass, and then again when the car was repainted. The clips survived the process with no problem. They are made of a flexible material, I guess vinyl, and should be OK. I would say to give it a go when you get the glass.

Edit: It's been over 20 years since the glass was replaced so don't assume this without asking around, but as I recall it was not necessary to remove the clips when replacing the glass.

Bob

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys acting so surprised, don't forget I'm not even on the same continent as you all! 🇬🇧 There's so few of these cars in the UK that nobody carries spares for anything except common service parts any more.
On the plus side, Funkycheese is right; glassmakers can make up a windscreen from an industry-standard code. I have Dragon's written down on a post-it note somewhere on my desk.
Pilkington, by coincidence now owned by Nippon Sheet Glass, lists the Eurocode (ARGIC) as 8241A for the base design, with other suffixes indicating the subtype, e.g. glass shade, whether it has a tinted stripe across the top etc.
The downside to having one made from scratch is, of course, the lead time. And since I'm not going directly through my insurance (even though I have glass cover), I've not been able to confirm whether they'll cover the cost - every time I try to speak to someone about windscreen replacements, I never get an answer!
Thanks Dale for the part numbers. Bob, by now these clips are 30+ years old, and even pliable plastic has a tendency to dry out and become brittle over the years; the ones that hold the turn signal housings are a nightmare for me, I've broken several and have resorted to warming them and using WD-40 whenever I refit them. I don't want to chance getting the windshield out only to have the clips shatter with no spares. Maybe I won't need them, maybe they'll stay flexible, but it's better to have the spares available. And if the dam kit results in a nicer finish, then it's worth the investment as far as I'm concerned.
Are there any tricks to getting the trim off? Both to save the clips and to avoid bending the thin metal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The plastic socket thingy that you refer to that holds the signal housing onto the fog light frame is a different material. I have also broken a few. Back before liability concerns prevented a non empIoyee beyond the fence, I searched through salvage yards(what you Brits call "Breakers"), and collected a few extra. That is one item that I think someone a lot smarter than me could easily make with a 3-D printer and help us all out. Anyway, the windshield trim clips are a different material. My car got a respray about 3 years ago, and the trim went back on with no problem even though they were over 30 years old.

It has been a few years and I don't really remember how to release the trim from the clips. I seem to remember you have to slip a thin bladed tool under the trim from the glass side and find the clip. Then you push it up to push the clip away from the underside edge of the trim.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Okay, diving into the parts lists, the following is apparently the complete set of parts.
The Left and Right side clips are actually different from the top clips.
The mouldings on later cars, sometime during 1984 changeover, the right and left side mouldings changed to a distinctly different style. The retainer clips for these moulding are different. The parts below are NOT for the later mouldings.
It looks like you can purchase the complete set for the 1982/1983/early 1984 with a combination of Toyota part and CL Laurence Parts.
I have not changed these parts myself, I have been gathering parts for my wife's car, so these could be wrong.... but I think they are correct.

1982-1983 Moulding Clips
75546-140806Clip, Windshield Moulding Set, NO.1Top Moulding Clips for all yearsMoulding2.34
75545-140813Clip, Windshield Side Moulding, LH08/1981-12/1983MouldingNLACP835652CR Laurence Equivalent
75545-140813Clip, Windshield Side Moulding, RH08/1981-12/1983MouldingNLACP835652CR Laurence Equivalent
75548-240209Fastener, Windshield Outside Moulding, NO.1Fasteners for all yearsMoulding2.34CP845754CR Laurence Approximate Equivalent

I hope this helps rather than confuses.

Dale

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll find the occasional part on ebay. I've located a windscreen in Germany:

Windscreen for Supra MkII

And an injector in the UK, maybe of interest for you?

Injector for 5M-GE
Much appreciated Zoe; the only trouble is shipping something as fragile as a windscreen. Not to mention, international shipping to the UK is already going to hell, so I'm guessing it would take just as long to get it through Dover...!

I need to double-check whether my insurance would cover having a screen made up, but I know for a fact it wouldn't cover me buying one on eBay.

And yeah, I keep an eBay saved search set up for Supra parts. So far, Dragon hasn't needed anything fundamental like fuel injectors.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
CRL parts work on the top and sides - the difference in the original Toyota parts is inconsequential.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Good to know!

Any idea about whether they would work on the later style side mouldings as well?

Dale

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Yes. Only the side mouldings are different and the clips are again almost exactly the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When my windshield was mounted (in my garage) after the repaint, I re-used the old clips back in '98.
I'd probably would have added at least one on the top if re-done, but if your trim is ok, it will do.
The clips HAVE to be added while the glue is soft, otherwise you most probably will have to remove cured glue. (Messy and could damage the paint.)
Sorry, not a single pic from the restoration.. :/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts