Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday my son and I went to an Antique Auto Club of America car show in nearby Virginia Beach, VA. Since the local AACA chapter has a Junior member division for old car nuts between 14-24 yrs old he decided to join. Especially since his car will officially qualify under AACA rules as an antique on Jan 1st.

Rob even decided to enter the Supra in the show under the Special Interest division. The car sadly did not win anything due to a couple of stunning Buicks but it did get a good amount of attention. Another MkII was entered in a different class since it was an 82 and he took his class. :woot: Seem that we will see more Asian iron as time goes on.

Here are a whole bunch of pictures from the meet.

The MkII that took its class. Really nice guy. We told him about the forum and he is looking forward to getting a hatch decal from Bob.

Rob's car being looked over by the guy who did the paint and body work on the 82 L-type.

Just a fun cool shot.

I bet you can tell what this is without scrolling down any further. Oh so cool!

For those who don't know their Ford history at all.

DROOL!!!!!

A stunning 55 Vette.

Lord Vader

For you Mopar fans.

Yea, it had a 440 Six-Pack and a 4-speed.

The show it held at a small private airport. Thus the Wings part of the name.

So there were lots of neat planes as well.

OK. Now lets see who the real old car nuts are. Identify this engine.

Well, did you figure it out?

Here is the car it is in.

Still don't know? I am sure some of you do.

There were actually two stunning droptop Duzies at the show. The two cars together are worth nearly 3 million.

That is enough for now. I have more pics I will put up when I am not as tired.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for all the awesome pics.

A big giveaway on the Mustang is it has 302 Boss stamped on the valve cover. :)

You got me on the Dousenburg though, I had no idea.

That Grand National makes me a little too envious.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i actually knew the duesenburg suprisingly. watched an episode of Rides on TLC about one Jay Leno was restoring. lol.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Nice shots! Is that Rob standing next to the GN with his hands in his pockets?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pics!

Love that Buick paint ;)
Yep, gotta love factory orange peel. :eekfacepalm:

That is Rob standing by the Grand Nash.

Oh, and BTW- Rob did win an award at the show. He won youngest driver/entrant!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some more pics

I'll start out this set with the smallest and lowest performance streetable car in attendance.

A Fiat 500

To give you an idea of just how tiny these cars are.

The oldest car in attendance. It's an 07

1907 that is.

The owner said that it does run but is a pain to start so sadly we did not get to hear it run.

Anybody for a TVR?

All the engine you need when the car weighs nothing.

This should move your Mustang without any problem.

I love rat rods. They are so cool.

A Factory 5 Cobra Replica (boy this thing sounded mean!)

Red Baron anyone??

All the aircraft are kept in flight ready condition. Thus the reason for the drip pans.

And finally an 87 328 GTS. The guy was nice enough to let Rob have a seat. I think Rob tried to trade him keys. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
great photos... and great car diversity

tell rob to keep the Supe... he wont enjoy an Italian that dsnt run.

I was just driving an identical '70 Boss 302 on Friday... thing is a real monster.
Another friend (Glickenhaus) has a Duesie, so Im familiar.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
"Anybody for a TVR?"

Me! I've always liked those little cars...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great photos... and great car diversity

tell rob to keep the Supe... he wont enjoy an Italian that dsnt run.
Thanks very much.

As for the 328 they are pretty reliable. I drove one to and from my wedding. A friend of mine owned it and it was basically his daily driver. He had over 80K on it at the time. But I do agree that they cannot be your only car like a MkII can be even at 25yrs old.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another friend (Glickenhaus) has a Duesie, so Im familiar.
Yea, you have to admire them. They were using DOHC 4 valve heads when everybody else was trying to get pushrods to be practical. Truly amazing cars with attention to detail that is unmatched.

I have seen them before at other shows but I did not expect this show to bring out the big guns like this.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Awesome pics and looked like great weather! I love those 328's it is one of my favorite Ferrari's! Is the Duecy a straight 8?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

My dad used to own one of these, long story.. he has a ton of buicks.

One of the buicks he currently owns is a Turbo T or w/e you call it, it's the same body style as the Grand National (also V6 single turbo), pretty neat car.

I actually raced a different Turbo T who had a bunch of mods (Alchol injection, bigger turbo, 22 psi, etc.). We did a pull and I had him by a car and a half from 2nd gear till the end of 4th, then I dropped compression in cylinder 3 (yay! NOOOOTTT!!!).

Nice pics

Tony

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I've flown out of that airport. I the owner of the museum and have had the opportunity to fly with him in one of his collection - even flew it for a while myself :). He regularly holds "Wings and Wheels" shows at the museum/airfield.

He has an absolutely PHENOMENAL collection of airplanes. Many of them are extremely rare - in some cases, the only ones on display in the US. And, to make it even better, they are almost all flyable - not just static display pieces (a few are waiting for restoration).

It's open to the public year round - if you are ever in the Virginia Beach area, it's well worth the trip (about 15-20 minutes south of town).

Great to see the MkII's there!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome pics and looked like great weather! I love those 328's it is one of my favorite Ferrari's! Is the Duecy a straight 8?
Thanks CJ!

The weather turned out ok. A bit grey but not too hot.

You bet the Duzie is a straight 8. That is the only way they came.

Some of them even had superchargers on them. Unbelieveably powerful engines for the time. Even pretty powerful by todays standards. The engine was a bit over 5ltrs. and made around 250hp. The blown versions made up to 400hp! These cars were scary fast by 1930's standards.

Especially for something that weighs up to 3 TONS! And is over 20ft long.

Look they even run a pair of 10"s!!! Headlights that is. :laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts