Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233411405507
#2: Dryer sheets and maybe moth balls.Bay leaves?Irish Spring soap smells nice to us.Peppermint extract.
#3: Plastic sheet on dirt or pavement floors under your Supra.
#4: Stuff an appropriate size ball of....in your tail pipe.Mouse traps w/peanut butter.
#5: Jack up your Supra and remove most of the weight from the tires OR use some wheel dollies to skate around inside your storage area.
#6: Remove your battery to a heated area and add a trickle charger.GREASE the battery tray,maybe.
#7: Even a cheap car cover will help.
#6.5: Wash and wax the paint,but don't buff it out until spring.
#8: Add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and circulate into the system.E-10 is not good fuel.
#9: Check your coolant freeze protection level.
#10. Perhaps an oil change is a good idea.
#11: Release the parking brake to prevent a seized cable.:thumbsup:
#12: Start the car every 2 weeks until up to temperature,run the A/C if so equipped.

From Hagerty... https://forums.hagerty.com/t/more-essential-pointers-for-safe-winter-car-storage/29397/15

Any more storage tips?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I heard if you cover the under cariage of the car with salt and water it will actually prevent road debris from rusting out the car.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

·
Founding Member
6,252 Posts
I learned the hard way not to jack up a car and leave the suspension just hanging for many months. The same reason you think you're saving your tires, the rubber suspension bushes are taking a set at their extreme extension instead. Even relatively new poly suspension bushes can be ruined (BTDT), plus really old rubber can even be weakened, reducing the remaining life by thousands of miles. You can buy semi-circular cradles for your tires to prevent flat spots, but modern radials will be OK over winter if you just air them up to 45-50psi. Or better yet, move down here to Texas and drive your classic car through the winter. ;)

But seriously to add #13, if your DOT 3/4 brake fluid is about due (every two to three years), I'd recommend to flush it BEFORE winter storage.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#13 is what I had forgotten,Phil.

OK,let it sit on the suspension,but that's how the rodents get in-right up your tires.
Never had any chewed wires or mice ingress...yet.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Good checklist Dave :thumbsup: I haven't got around to winterizing yet, but she's stored now...

Starting bi-weekly is debateable. If exhaust isn't up to temp, moisture will be kept in pipe, not good for long-term storage. I top up with high octane, use Sta-bil and run it outside a few times over the winter just to keep the juices flowing.

Also, if stored outdoors or if temps fluctuate, I recommend getting some RV dessicant to trap excess moisture, it works!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I do the following since 1998 for the stock 85 supra
Have battery minder charging battery with an lcd volt meter in line to check voltage of battery .
Have a large computer cooling fan hanging from rear view mirror moving the air to prevent mold.
Car up on plastic ramps to keep if further away from the ground with car cover under carport.
Peppermint extract on top of tires and on top of tire covers and engine bay.
Full tank of gas,50 psi in tires, fresh oil change, never start car until spring. Fires right up in late March.
Looks mint when cover is removed 4 months later.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I learned the hard way not to jack up a car and leave the suspension just hanging for many months. The same reason you think you're saving your tires, the rubber suspension bushes are taking a set at their extreme extension instead. Even relatively new poly suspension bushes can be ruined (BTDT), plus really old rubber can even be weakened, reducing the remaining life by thousands of miles. You can buy semi-circular cradles for your tires to prevent flat spots, but modern radials will be OK over winter if you just air them up to 45-50psi. Or better yet, move down here to Texas and drive your classic car through the winter. ;)

But seriously to add #13, if your DOT 3/4 brake fluid is about due (every two to three years), I'd recommend to flush it BEFORE winter storage.
Hey Phil, I have had my car up on jack stands right now off and on for two years. I alternate between the stands and wheel dollies depending on what im doing to the car. Am i better off just leaving the tires on the wheel dollies?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Founding Member
6,252 Posts
Hey Phil, I have had my car up on jack stands right now off and on for two years. I alternate between the stands and wheel dollies depending on what im doing to the car. Am i better off just leaving the tires on the wheel dollies?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
If I'm working on a car up in the air and know it will be a while before I get back to the job, I'll go ahead and put the wheels back on and let it down or if that's not practical, like now I've got the right front suspension discombobulated on an old Jaguar, I'll place a jack under the control arm(s) and raise it. Back when I was parting out Supras, I kept several spare jacks. They are real convenient for stuff like that, or cheap bottle jacks work fine too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts