Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to help everyone understand wipers. Many people get wiper blades and wiper inserts confused, and calling them the correct name is the difference between $3 and $12...plus shipping

85220 is the BLADE
85190 is the ARM
85221 is the RUBBER INSERT

Here's a little comparison shot. The top BLADE is well known to most of you. It is the factory blade off of a MkII Supra. The lower blade is your Brand-X replacement blade you get at the local parts store

On the Toyota BLADE, the INSERT is removable. This is what it looks like on it's way out

Once it's out the INSERT looks like this

You'll notice it has no plastic rib to add strength to it, it's just a floppy piece of rubber (unlike many aftermarket inserts)

Here's a couple of shots of the blade without the insert in it.

The rib that holds the insert is captured in the blade, meaning it's not made to come out. Many after market wiper manufacturers have you take the rib out and replace with an insert that has a plastic rib attached to it. These plastic ribs don't fit the Toyota blades very well, and can cause chattering, overly loud roll over (flip/flop) or squeaking. If you've tossed the factory rib, you can not use factory inserts. The rib is only sold with the wiper blade assembly. Here's a pic of the insert being fed into the wiper blade

Hope that helps everyone understand not only what they have, but what they may need in the future! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Very cool! Make this one a sticky!

Can you also show the difference between the old style and the newer style (the one with the screws)?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Mark,

Is it possible to still get everything for the front wipers (Left and Right)(Blades, Inserts, and Arms) and the one rear one (Blades, Inserts, and Arms) for an 84 Supra?

Thanks in advance

Edit: A PM in fine instead of filling this thread.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looking for a source for wiper inserts, replacements or whatever it takes for a 1983 Supra. Nothing local will work:duh:

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking for a source for wiper inserts, replacements or whatever it takes for a 1983 Supra. Nothing local will work:duh:
Take a picture of your driver's side wiper and post it...I'll be able to help you out once that is done unless you can tell me if the driver's side arm has been replaced in the past?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
If your referring to the rubber inserts I have used ANCO Part # T20R for years, cut to fit, hard to find though!!

Rockauto.com has them for +/- $4.30ish a pair.

Nice write up Mark!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The ANCO cut to fit do not work at all in our wiper arms. I will post up a photo..soon...dead battery in the camera:rolleyes:

How do I post a picture here?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the help and I will be calling today...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody knows where I can get an electrical diagram for windshield wiper motor??? I have problems with this, when I use the wipers, later unless the control is in off position, they working for a few minutes. the motor doesn't stop in the stop position neither.
Regards,
Carlos Mario

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carlos...it sounds like your wiper motor is starting to go bad. Make sure the ground wire has a clean ground. I don't have wiring diagrams scanned...really should have them in my computer I guess. Might try posting up in the mechanical section and see what someone might say there. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the help and I will be calling today...
The stuff came in great this week - unfortunately I cannot use the parts since I have a 1983 Supra:duh:. Guess I am junkyard bound to find some arms we can actually attach the front wipers too.

The rear was a bolt on (literally).

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
This thread is to help everyone understand wipers. Many people get wiper blades and wiper inserts confused, and calling them the correct name is the difference between $3 and $12...plus shipping

85220 is the BLADE
85190 is the ARM
85221 is the RUBBER INSERT

Here's a little comparison shot. The top BLADE is well known to most of you. It is the factory blade off of a MkII Supra. The lower blade is your Brand-X replacement blade you get at the local parts store

Hope that helps everyone understand not only what they have, but what they may need in the future! Thanks!
I just went through this for a 1984...

On top is the passenger side INSERT (rubber only)
Passenger side BLADE (comes with rubber)
Driver side BLADE (comes with rubber)
Driver side INSERT (rubber only, flipped over showing installation instructions)
Driver side INSERT (rubber only)

I tried to get them all in one pic with the part numbers visible.

If you buy a new BLADE, it comes with the metal strip that accepts the rubber INSERT (and the rubber INSERT).

I had a non-Toyota wiper 'Refill' (trico?, anco?) and found it inferior to stock.
When you cut down the non-toyota 'Refill' (the plastic back bone and rubber), there is nothing to prevent the rubber from walking out.
The Toyota INSERT is made to 'lock in' to the metal back bone of a Toyota BLADE.

And a question for Mark - Are the 82/83 wiper BLADES (with included rubber INSERT) still available?

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No Ken, the 82-83 blades and arms would have to be updated to the 84-85 blades and arms in order to replace the blades. This is a problem...arms are discontinued, so what to do?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
No Ken, the 82-83 blades and arms would have to be updated to the 84-85 blades and arms in order to replace the blades. This is a problem...arms are discontinued, so what to do?
Price just went up on my 82/83 wiper arm stash :D

I'll admit, I kind of knew the answer as I got everything in the picture when I asked my local Toyota Parts guy to get me wipers for a 1982, 83, and 84 Supra (3 cars worth).

I'll do some comparing though and see if that metal back bone from the 84/86 BLADE can be fitted into the 82/83 BLADE and ARM.
Then to 82/83 owners you can sell the rubber INSERTS, just have to buy a 84/86 BLADE for the metal back bone.

Ken

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still scouring junkyards for a 84/85 with reusable arms....

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I went to advance auto parts, and picked up some Trico refills pn#47-700, and so far, they work great. Only bad thing about them is they are molded a bit different, and they don't slide on easily, but if you have patience, they will slide through, and as tight as they go in, no way they will slip out when in use.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts