Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the wiring harness plug that plugs into the Digital Dashboard Speedometer Assembly.
I believe that it is also used on the inside wiring harness where it plugs into the driver side footwell Fuse Box (all models,not just digital dash).
I only really need the connector, but if you have the inside wiring harness for a digital dash car, I would take that too.

Musical instrument Jaw Font Electronic instrument Audio equipment

The Digital Speedometer Connector that it plugs into

Green Motor vehicle Circuit component Automotive tire Electronic instrument

The rear of the Digital Dashboard - The red highlighted connector is what I want the part for.

Wood Rectangle Plastic Metal Nail

The harness connector that I need is similar to this, but with 17 Connectors instead of 13.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Electronic engineering

The same connector is used on the Driver side lower kick panel fuse box. The wiring harness plugs in here.

Send me a PM if you have one.

Thanks and regards

Dale Z
Supraz

Attachments

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
569 Posts
check out this site. I've been able to find tonnes of connectors for autos and motos there. Most likely Sumitomo, Yazaki or AMP/TE connector.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check out this site. I've been able to find tonnes of connectors for autos and motos there. Most likely Sumitomo, Yazaki or AMP/TE connector.
Awesome!

The part is a Yazaki 7119-3170. They are extremely hard to find in North America. I'm checking them out now!

Nope! They have this style, but in 9 and 13 pin only. It's a start though
I appreciate the heads up

Dale

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dannoxyz

Thank you!

You know, I always thought aliexpress.com was for companies who ordered 1,000 units of something. I never looked at anything on their site until you just pointed it out.
I just ordered 3 sets. You learn something new every day.

They are scheduled to arrive on 31-Jan-2022, but I'm in no hurry so for under C$10, that's hard to beat.
The parts are Chinese manufactured knock offs of Yazaki connectors, but it looks like this 80s design connector is no longer manufactured by Yazaki.
The details on them are a little sparse, but the part number matches, and they do look correct.
If I'm out C$10 at the end, then it's a lesson learned without a huge loss.

I almost bought some TE Connectivity 172500-1 connectors which look almost exactly correct. However, when I looked at their engineering diagrams, the keyways for the connectors were backwards...for sure.

The reason I want these connectors is that I have a spare digital dashboard and I want to monkey around with a solution to the speedometer display bouncing around by about 6 mph when the speedometer cable resonates. It's really irritating and I am going to play around with a Teensy microprocessor to filter the Speed Sensor signal to speedometer module. I am not going to try doing it on the car. It's a fun way to do some experimentation and learn something and perhaps fix this common problem.
The electrical connectors on the car are available, but you REALLY have to hunt for them.

Again, thank you for pointing out what now seems obvious to me.

Dale

·
Registered
569 Posts
You're welcome!

I didn't realise digital dash had different connector. My '82 had 85-mph digital dash. So I replaced it with '84 dash with no speed-limit.

What about doing away with speedo cable completely? Fit VSS to transmission and send pulses to speedo? In later models, speedo actually contains converter that generates square-wave output from VSS analogue signal. This square-wave is feed to ECM to control shift-points for solenoids in electronically-controlled transmissions.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An interesting question.
I don't know enough about the systems to really answer that in an intelligent way.

I think I am going to start another topic to discuss this and get more input about this topic!

I think the way I am planning is the easiest approach without having unintended consequences. I have taken some photos of my of the digital dashboard. I really was having troubles understanding the TSRM and EWD. There seemed to be some basic ideas missing (to me anyways!).

Anyways, I really do appreciate your input. Half the fun of working on these cars is talking with other members and learning a lot about them. Members here know an amazing amount of information.

Dale

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Going pulses for speedo creates an issue for the mechanical odometer. Something to think about also.
I also have a digi dash that like to jump 108—112 kmh..
I kind of taught it was more of a switching time base counting issue than the cable, as it's stable at low speeds.

As for the "unlimited" speed units after 83, I don't think so. I've never been able to see more than 207 KPH, and the 135MPH converts to 217KPH. A variable drill/motor/dremmel on your mockup would allow to validate that 😎.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dannoxyz,

You were so right on!

These are the exact connector that was needed.
Circuit component Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic component Office equipment

Creative arts Gas Household appliance accessory Motor vehicle Electronic engineering

White Light Toy Automotive tire Wood

The parts were really inexpensive and came within their estimated time

Thanks again,

Dale

Reactions: dannoxyz and AJ

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Dale, I have this available in the garage if needed??

OG discount applied!!

Arch

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Computer hardware

Adapter Electrical wiring Cable Adapter Networking cables

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arch,

That is extremely generous. Why don't you install it on your car?
From what I've read, it's designed for a digital dash and Auto Transmission. Although I believe that some have adapted it to analog dashboards.
If you need help with it I'd sure be willing to try to help.
If you really don't want to go this route I would love to buy it!

Dale

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
fyi, you also need 2 more components.
  • the keypad/KEYBOARD
  • the "CRUISE PILOT COMPUTER" module that mounts behing the cluster, near the famous Blue Retractor Control Box !
For a digidash, it is a direct plug-in swap, Canadian/US/Auto/Manual cars.
For an analog dash, I still have the conversion instructions made back in the day by Mike Webber (iirc) that I could email.

I have one in my Canadian Digi-Ptype, thanks to ChrisEng (Professor Honeydew..)

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Circle

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Dale/Jocelyn, Guys Thanks for the offer I appreciate it!!

I have the write up as well, but after looking into the work and parts needed (I did have them at some point) I opted out of the mod...

I forgot it was M. Webber who did the write up LOL...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fyi, you also need 2 more components.
  • the keypad/KEYBOARD
  • the "CRUISE PILOT COMPUTER" module that mounts behing the cluster, near the famous Blue Retractor Control Box !
For a digidash, it is a direct plug-in swap, Canadian/US/Auto/Manual cars.
For an analog dash, I still have the conversion instructions made back in the day by Mike Webber (iirc) that I could email.

I have one in my Canadian Digi-Ptype, thanks to ChrisEng (Professor Honeydew..)

View attachment 18928
Jocelyn,

So does a digital dash car come with this Cruise Pilot Computer?

I've looked at this older thread and it seems to say that all digital dash cars come with it.

Digital Dash & Trip Computer component information Post # 1

Looking at parts lists, it looks like manual cars have a Cruise Control Computer, in the left side kick panel. Is the Cruise Pilot Computer Assembly, 89583-14010 the cruise controller for all automatic cars, automatic cars with Trip Control, or not for Cruise Control at all? I have to confess that I haven't got under the dash to see if this Cruise Pilot Computer is present. If it is, do automatic cars have the other cruise control computer too?

Font Line Parallel Slope Triangle

88240 COMPUTER ASSY, CRUISE CONTROL

88240-14070 (08/1983 - 07/1984)
88240-14080 (08/1984 - 11/1985

Dale

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Dale,
I've added the word 'Pilot' only because the onlibe EPC states it. But physically, the module does not, as shown in your linked thread.
The module on the left kickpanel you show is possibly for the Australian cars, RHD-dash, which had a 1 DIN keypad above a 1 DIN radio in the center console ( i have pics somewhere, was posted on the initial forum). I may have ended-up myself with the pictured components of thread.
The digidash seemed to be an option with the USDM Ltypes only. No Canadian cars hot them because km vs miles. I see no reason for any difference between auto/manual. The only 2 externals wired signals to the system are
1: ECU-"#10" (injector pulse)
2: vehicule speed, tied between speedo and the "real cruse control" module.
All other wires are 12V power related.

You can see a system diagram at :

And when I got all 3 modules on hand, it was plug and play. All power and signal wires were on the same plug feefing my 'normal' clock display.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts