Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a 5mge into my '87 toyota 4runner. A buddy of mine did the wiring (a messy job done mostly at the cpu) and everything works except the cold start... ie, when i start the truck, warm or cold, it idles at around 1000 rpm. Meanwhile, I have to block off 2 main vacuum lines that should otherwise be connected to each other: the biggest line coming off the intake (black plastic part of the intake) and the line off the cold-start area of the intake. If i connect these lines, i get wandering rpm's, up and down, between 1500 and 3000. The way it runs now isn't the end of the world, i'm just hoping there's a wiring genius out there with some advice... it'd be nice to have everything working mint. thanks.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Hook up that "big line" from the plastic intake part to the "cold start" thing. That cold start thing is the ISCV, and helps bump the idle up during startup. Pull out the "STOP" fuse in the engine bay (or disconnect the + side of the batt), and let it sit for about 30 min (to be sure of ECU reset). Then make sure that the 2 coolant lines are hook up to the ISCV and start the engine. It may bounce a few times since the ECU has not received good feedback from the ISCV before and it is going to do a "re-tune". Now the engine will sound a little boggy when you first start it, but drive it around for a little while and the ECU will "re-learn" what it needs to do, and after that, the ISCV should work fine. If not, there is more digging to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I've had the battery out for extended periods of time with no change. If, during the swap, any wiring for the iscv should have been connected i don't think it was. Has anyone here done this swap? I think this particular issue requires adding a relay but i'm not much good with wiring.

New issue: I've heard that when you reset your timing the ecu should be jumped. And when jumping the ecu the rpms should drop (or raise??) and the check engine light should blink. When i jump mine i get no change in rpms or a check engine light. I've traced the jumper plug wires back to the ecu and they are connected. So first, is this necessary? and if so, any thoughts on why mine isn't working? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts