Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were out the other evening in her 1984 Celica Supra and thought that the hanging baskets made a nice back drop for 'witte vlek' (Dutch for White spot).

It's nice how anything with a splash of colour really complements the Super White.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much.

She is a work in progress. She was a one owner car before we got her. She needs some TLC. We have the lower side moulding, whiskers, rear billboard hatch sticker for her.
I've got another set of OEM wheels that I'm in the process of refinishing.
We want to keep her primarily original. although we have a fiberglass sunroof panel in case we need it. We also have a Jim King Air Conditioning kit that we are going to install soon. Her AC definitely doesn't blow as cold as it should. The exhaust is a Raptor Racing 2.5 inch manifold unit which we bought primarily because it's stainless steel. It's a little loud for our taste, although we are getting used to it. We have an original 12.5" catalytic converter that we may install to see if it quietens her down just a bit.
In BC you have to have the original stereo installed to have Collector plates, but we have a Sony RM-X2 remote stereo that we may add to give a bit better sound.

She has about 67,000 miles on her.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
In BC you have to have the original stereo installed to have Collector plates, but we have a Sony RM-X2 remote stereo that we may add to give a bit better sound.

She has about 67,000 miles on her.
Wait, is stereo the only thing they check? Beautiful car, trying to talk my gf into getting one as we speak.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not the only thing they check... but likely the only thing preventing Dale from getting the plates. (Dale, right?... it's been a while)
Dean, we actually already have collector plates on the car.

Dang! Just going through the list below I see the hidden stereo idea is not permitted! Double dang.
I am sure that if you sneak one in and get into an insurance issue, they could deny a claim on any part of the claim, not just the stereo. Oh well.

In BC they check that the car is essentially stock and in reasonable shape.
Specific requirements are:
The vehicle must be 25 years old, or at least 15 years old and is a "limited production vehicle" or a "Discontinued Vehicle"
Vehicle Exterior - should have no dents, paint blemishes, bubbling, chips, rust, or visible primer.
Tires - are to be similar in size and appearance to the original tires.
Usage - the vehicle is to be used solely for pleasure purposes and will not at any time be used for driving to or from or part way to or from work or school.
You must own or lease a non-collector vehicle or be the assigned operator of a company vehicle that is registered, licensed and insured in BC as your general transportation vehicle.

Photographs - you must send a minimum of 11 photographs showing:
Entire front view
Entire rear view
Entire right side
Entire left side
Trunk with lid open (or tailgate down)
Engine compartment
Entire dashboard (including radio and steering area)|
All seats (non-factory seat covers removed)
Driver's side floor (loose floor mats removed)
Headliner

Wheels and Tires
Yes you can
change your wheel size (to not more than one inch taller and wider)
Upgrade your tires from bias ply to radials
Install era correct wheels and hubcaps

Fuel System:
Yes you can
Change you intake manifold
Change your carburetor (must be the same size as original)
No you can't
Change your fuel system from that originally equipped
Change from carburetor to fuel injection

Exhaust:
Yes you can
Upgrade cast iron to steel ceramic coated headers
Replaced the exhaust system with one that is similar to that provided by the original equipment manufacturer
Replace exhaust system to stainless steel.

Steering and Suspension
Yes you can:
upgrade your suspension with new shock absorbers
No you can't:
raise or lower your vehicle by more than one inch/2.54cm

Interior and Upholstery
Yes you can:
Install an era correct aftermarket radio/tape player (model year vehicles 1987 and newer may have era correct CD players)
Upgrade your radio and speakers with modern functionality as long as they are visually indistinguishable from the radio and speaker system originally installed.
No you can't:
Add aftermarket hidden audio equipment (e.g. subwoofer, amplifier, CD changer, etc.)

Other
Yes you can:
upgrade to stainless steel brake and fuel lines

In British Columbia the insurance is easily a quarter of the cost of licensing the same vehicle with regular insurance. In addition, you get 'Collector Plates' which I think is cool. It really is worth it to jump through the hoops to get this status.

My wife and I are also old enough that we like the car in stock-ish condition. So with the exception of the stereo, it's not a real issue. I have a set of headers that I see I can put on the car legally too!

The British Columbia government (we have provincial basic insurance with optional coverage that can be provided through private companies) apparently consulted with collector car groups to see what changes from stock are reasonable and, by and large, I don't think the rules are out of line.

I also have my black 83 which is lowered, aftermarket suspension, 17" wheels, Sony audio system (1989 Vintage with remote Amp and CD Changer) so we have one stock-ish car and one mildly modified.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts