Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
engine does run, looks dirty but i am ready for a project. Brakes don’t work and power steering doesn’t work. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
That's tough. Based on what information we have I'd say if it's 100% rust-free, yes it's worth it.

...any rust at all and it's a solid no-go for me, but my threshold for condition may be different than yours.

Cheers,
BillyM

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
If your offer for a lot less is accepted then yes. You might do much better with $2.5k and patience.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
591 Posts
Steering and brakes are easy fix. Check for rust that is what will make this car worth less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Agreed I would be patient for that price and that its an Auto...Maybe for $1500?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'd pass, auto and some signs of rust kills it...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd love to know the condition of the passenger side seat bolster closest to the console... Hard to find maroon leather parts. (In other words, might make a good parts car)

·
Founding Member
6,481 Posts
That's a serious project. If your intent is to "restore" it, it will require searching out a lot of "unobtainium" parts. I see just in the few pictures:

Dash pad - unavailable
Windshield trim - unavailable
Belt mouldings - unavailable
Body side mouldings - $985 group buy going on right now, but DON'T WAIT another milisecond
Headlight trims (we call them whiskers) - there was a guy vacuum-moulding reproductions by hand but unsure of his current status
Passenger door panel and trim - unavailable
Driver side mirror - unavailable
Privacy cover - unavailable
Carpet - repop available but not sure about color and fitment can be iffy

Automagic transmission is a personal preference, but it does knock about 20% off the value.

While it appears to have some potential, I think its a poor candidate for restoration at current values. Since you can't test-drive it, I worry that you could have $10K in it just getting it running and driving and it still look like that for years while you hunt down all the trim pieces. And then you still have to do the paint and body work and upholstery after you manage to beat one of us other vultures to the next decent parts car for trim. Despite that low-mileage trailer queens can reach $40K on BAT, our most well-restored of all time stock(ish) Supra with this kind of mileage (and a 5sp) still topped out in the low $20Ks. I see a potential five to ten year project that would be way under water even if you got the car for free and even more potential for the project to stall in frustration after a couple of unsuccessful years of parts-hunting.

Better to start by spending $7K to $10K for a Supra that's all there, complete, intact (i.e. no cracked dashes, no delaminated trims, etc.) and running and driving. Pick one that maybe needs only minor restoration work. Even at that, you'd be taking on a significant project to get one from a #3 condition to a #2, but its very near impossible to start with a #4 (maybe 5 as a non-runner). If you could get this one for say a grand, buy it as a parts car and then look for a better one to start with. The only other possibility is if its rust-free, buy it cheap for the shell and look for a rust-bucket up north where the sun didn't shine on all that plastic, rubber and vinyl. But beware, hunting individual parts is going to be very frustrating, especially when you log in, see somebody posted a dash pad for sale but was already marked sold within 60 seconds.

Reactions: supra_toy

·
Super Moderator
8,491 Posts
These days $2500 is about the bottom for any car it seem. Considering this looks like CA its a big risk to buy something like this and get it to pass smog, which is probably why it's been sitting. Worst case you could buy this turd I saw today that looks like it got pulled from the river;

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
It's an auto....MEH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts