Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run the 2JZ-GE in my '84 MK2, with the original radiator, which is not efficient enough to cool the engine at higher revs. I have the option to buy an original brass new MK3 7M-GTE radiator, and was wondering if that would be enough? I really don't want to risk it with those aluminum performance radiators, also because I have a limited space in terms of thickness, and have to use the standard 2JZ-GE clutch operated fan. I also saw that excellent comparison post between the radiators by SupraGuy31 (thanks for that), and it seems the 7M-GTE has a quite enhanced cooling capability while keeping the same overall size. Last but not least, an MK3 radiator fits into the MK2 easily, is the correct?
Please let me know, if anyone had some real experience with such a set up, and how it really works.
Thank you in advance!
:)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Good questions I need to know this stuff for my swap Aswell.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they are good questions, but also not easy to find an answer to :). I did some more research, and decided that if I go with a standard MK3 supra radiator, it would be from those made from plastic and aluminum, rather than the old-style cooper, not so much for the weight issues, as for the cooling efficiency. My original 5MG radiator, although cleaned and in very good shape, heat soaks after 40 mins of driving and cannot cope to cool the engine over 3000rpm, does fine at idle and under 3000rpm. So, since I have no space to put electric fans (I want to keep my A/C) I must use the clutch fan, and was hoping to get more air pulled by swapping the clutch, rather than installing an undersized pulley which will put too much pressure on the water pump.

·
Premium Member
8,167 Posts
You will need an adapter (for the bottom mount) to install the MK3 radiator into the MA chassis...and the use the
MK3 mounting brackets for the top of the radiator...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
What AJ said plus a shroud, biggest thing people leave off and wonder what's going on with their rads is they didn't put the shroud back on or have one made. The underbody tray helps out as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys! I know the shroud is important, and even had one built for my original radiator, plus an under-body tray and few other wind deflectors all helping to get as much air though the rad as possible, nevertheless it couldn't handle the 2JZ.
Thank you for the helpful comments! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to end this discussion, by informing you that the 7MGTE MKIII radiator and shroud, did the trick, I am using my standard 2JZGE fan clutch and fan, and the temperature is always very cool, even with the A/C on and the standard MKII A/C fan, which I plan to remove, and install the twin electric fans from the MKIII supra :).
The basic conclusion: an MKII Supra with 2JZGE is cooled fine by an MKIII turbo radiator and shroud... so get one if you have temp. problems with your MKII! Plus, installation is easy and it took me 2h to finish the new set up! Thanks for all your helpful and suggestions as always! :)

·
Premium Member
8,167 Posts
Have an opportunity to buy a 3 core brass OEM MK3 radiator...not clear in this thread to use the MK2 or MK3 shroud??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts