Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, title says it all.
Dragon's windscreen cracked in 2018, almost exactly where the rear-view mirror is; I recall hitting a pothole on the highway and it must've twisted the chassis just enough to crack the glass. It needs complete replacement. A national chain can make one up for me but there's a 12-week lead time (okay, that's not a bad thing given the current state of the world) and I can't get a clear answer out of my insurance company for whether it's covered. I want to get it as close to stock as possible since all the other glass panels are original (Toyota markings and license pate etched), and I can't get screens remade with the trademarks. Someone within collection distance is offering an original Toyota RA61 screen for a fair price (already removed so no faffing around with piano wire!)
I understand the two cars are basically the same from the firewall back. Would the windscreen fit?

·
Super Moderator
8,313 Posts
Should be the same. The only difference in the US is if they have an antenna wire embedded or not.

Reactions: Beernuts and AJ

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, but for the benefit of anyone else finding this thread:
The RA61 windshield does indeed physically fit, but there's a critical issue - due to the age of the car, the windshield may be toughened glass, rather than laminated glass. I never even thought to check. The one I bought is toughened, whereas Dragon was fitted with a laminated, and it's illegal to retrofit toughened screens into cars with laminated. I found this out when the fitter came out to swap them. Damnit damnit damnit.

Anyone in the UK want an RA61 windshield...?

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Rob, in the USA I believe we only have laminated glass due to DOT (Dept of Transportation) standards at least from the 50s-60s...I'm assuming toughened glass is like tempered glass??

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Hmmm actually Henry Ford started using laminated glass in the 30s....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob, in the USA I believe we only have laminated glass due to DOT (Dept of Transportation) standards at least from the 50s-60s...I'm assuming toughened glass is like tempered glass??
Correct, toughened == tempered. I also thought laminated glass was standard for waaaaaaaay earlier than the 80s so I didn't even think the RA61 screen could be anything else. It's possibly a JDM car; don't know the history because the guy only had the screen.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Write the insurance company. NOT your local agent and explain the issue. Take a photo. Many insurers will replace a windshield for almost free. Check your policy coverage, Rob.
You won't clear the MOT with a crack one.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Write the insurance company. NOT your local agent and explain the issue. Take a photo. Many insurers will replace a windshield for almost free. Check your policy coverage, Rob.
You won't clear the MOT with a crack one.
It's a little more complicated than that.
So I do have windshield cover with my insurance. Trouble is, I only get what they deem a 'suitable replacement', i.e. the cheapest compatible glass. There's also a >£100 excess on replacement glass, which is about 1/3 the price of buying it outright, so it's still not all that cheap.
And it actually does pass an MOT because the crack is outside the wiper swept area - anything within this area is an automatic fail, true, but because it's directly behind the rear-view mirror, it's just an advisory. I want to clear the advisories and get Dragon passing its MOTs with no comments!

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
You are looking for an EXACT OEM replacement! Holy shit, Rob. Use your VIN # on the DIY site.
Pay the extra $$$/£ £ £ for the correct windscreen. This search may take a while.
As I recall, there are upper tinted and non-tinted types.
GAWD, read this post:

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Please delete duplicate POST above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts