Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my MK2J to a well known family mechanic today for a Radiator Flush, younger new guy checked me in that I have not met, owner was listening,,,,,I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars there on my cars over the years.

New kid calls me a few hours later to tell me the car is complete. He then proceeds to tell me the tech that did the work often wondered why people do motor swaps in these types of cars, he said now he knows...apparently he took my car out for a little hot lap around the block, then he asked me in the tech's behalf if I wanted to sell my car......WTF !!! should I be a little bugged, should I say something to the owner. Slightly un-professional in my opinion

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
SHOULD YOU.....

I would be Pissed to find out that someone took my car out for a Hot lap of any Kind. The only thing they need to be doing is pulling it out of the service area and parking it in a safe area. I would want to choke the shit out of that new Kid.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Idea: make polite conversation with him, invite him to go for a ride with you at the wheel, take him out to the middle of nowhere, take all but his boxers, and leave him there.

Seriously, I'd be super pissed too! Tell his boss about how he is using the shop for his own personal joyriding. You already have the respect of the boss, the new guy doesn't.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Heh. He is working at Toyota and is sick of Camry, Camry, Camry. Can you blame him?
Uh...Rich...it's Camry, Camry, Corolla, Camry...get it straight!

Listen...it's not uncommon for a car to be quickly road tested after a service such as this...I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch. It might not hurt to turn the boost down before you go back in though...just to keep them from getting into trouble (i.e. over driving the car and losing it)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I work at Merchants. When other people are working on your cars, just be prepared for anything. It happened, you can say something to the owner if you want, but it'll probably happen again. I wouldn't bother saying anything. If your car is fine and you know they were just trying to compliment you, take the damn compliment :)

Dude I work with put 4 tires on a car, an Oldsmobile something if I remember right. Me and the other guy working that day were taking out old tires. When he pulled the car around and stopped so we could see him and him looking at us, we were smiling and wondering what he was gonna do. Dude beside me said "Punch it!" He proceeded to burnout with someone's brand new tires haha.

At least they guy doesn't have to worry about breaking them in himself haha.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I do all my own work on the car, minus alignments, but I really trust the guy that I get them done from. Plus he know that if he wrecks the Celipra on the test drive, I get his race-prepped late 80's Mustang (and the Celipra of course).

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Uh...Rich...it's Camry, Camry, Corolla, Camry...get it straight!

Listen...it's not uncommon for a car to be quickly road tested after a service such as this...I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch. It might not hurt to turn the boost down before you go back in though...just to keep them from getting into trouble (i.e. over driving the car and losing it)
I disagree, the mechanic should ask permission to drive the car for a test run. For most it is a joy ride... Experienced mechanics ask permission first.

I would talk to the owner of the shop. After all it's your car and your insurance payments.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, I'd be pissed off. It's definitely worth a comment to the owner.
I'd phrase that no harm was done......this time......but you'd prefer that your car not be used as a substitute for the roller coaster at the local fairgrouds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I disagree, the mechanic should ask permission to drive the car for a test run. For most it is a joy ride... Experienced mechanics ask permission first.

I would talk to the owner of the shop. After all it's your car and your insurance payments.
Actually they already have permission to test drive. Its stated in the work authorization form. I work at a Toyota body shop, and its absolutely imperative for test drive when servicing the cooling system . I think you guys are just thinking of what you would do with the car if you were the mechanic!:zzzzz:

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
The shop I go to for 25 years normally does test drives, usually the senior mechanic. If you have a good relationship with the mechanic go to him first IMO...

If needed then I would casually mention it to the service manager or owner just as a FYI and quote the kid said "took it out for a hot lap".

I would bet the owner might have a conversation with the kid, remember the kid was talking for the mechanic correct??

·
Registered
732 Posts
Im with AJ.. I would be asking who exactly took my car out for a "Hot Lap":eekfacepalm: and make sure they themselves and the owner of the shop that a "Hot Lap" is not justified as a test drive to make sure all is well..:SM130 (1):That is one of the reasons i do all my own work..I dont trust anyone in my car unless other wise specified..

·
Registered
697 Posts
I would be pissed too, considering how he worded it. But the problem is what will you gain from it if you say something? More than likely nothing and it will be awkward going there as long as he is still there, because I guarantee it will get back to him some way or another no matter who you bring it up to. Now unless something is "suddenly" messed up on your car and you want it fixed I wouldn't say anything.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya.....I was a little Revved up yesterday,,,,,,,I hate mechanics looking at my cars...hate hate hate,,,,I am very un trusting from past experiences. I have one mechanic that I would trust with anything and everything, I didn't want to make the drive for a rad flush. I will not make that mistake again. Charlies Garage, Boulder Co. (one incredible Toyota mechanic)

What bugs me the most, not knowing how he treated my car....!!
I am not going to say anything in this situation, I think the owner was a little embarrassed with the tech / new guy's comments.

Thanks for all the input,,,,,,,,,:

EDIT:
this morning driving my daughter to vollyball,,,,the fan was rubbing on the hose,,,had to adjust that myself. Wonder if he noticed that on the test drive....??

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That's bullshit, if it were a hot lap. I can understand a respectable mech. test driving it. but all the testing is done in shop if done right. They have a tool that will let the air bubbles escape without even moving the car. Just run it and then once hot, it blows the air bubbles out of into a funnel full of coolant, when it bubbles it sucks the anti-freeze in, and then you keep pouring until full.

This twat shouldn't have to drive you're car. I would go in there and ask the exact facts about what/who/when did what with the car. If the young kid actually told you "hot lap" then I would suggest to him that the car is classic not a racecar. To be respected. Check for tire residue on you're tires, should be a light light black powder, if you ever get booked for doing a burnout, cop may rub the sidewall to see if he fan find any residue... but probably blown off by now.

That would grind my gears for sure. especially at a shop you usually go to.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
I would have killed him......

I don't even let the car out of my sight, and the only time it goes to the garage is for an alignment. In the spring when I brought it in, the guy got in the car right in front of me and left.

I was like WTF ARE YOU DOING, he drives it around the block and comes back, he saw I wasn't amused. These arnt honda civics dime a dozen we have, well around here anyways. If someone wrecks it, its over.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Similar situation.

A buddy of mine with a 1JZ and I went to the alignment shop. They test drive all alignments. The guy gets in the car and proceeds to pull to redline down the street.

You basically have to expect the worst. Only let the senior person do the test drive, nobody young.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Years ago, my mom used to have a black 1965 Mustang 289 fastback.

While going to pick up the vehicle from being serviced, the car was gone.

About 20 minutes later, 4 kids from the dealer pulled into the parking lot in her car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts