Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some 5MGE timing parts. My friend's 87 Cressida keeps jumping timing and we changed the belt but it didnt solve the problem. So we're sure its the gears. Anyone have the set that would work on this engine? I know there was two sizes of gear teeth.

Let me know what you guys have. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I have to ask to be sure.......what were you guys torquing the tensioner bolt to, and when in the process of installing the belt did you torque the bolt?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, we pried the tensioner as far as it can go then we tightened the bolt to really effin tight. You know, I have a service manual and I didnt check the proper procedure.

Wanna walk me through what you would do?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
If the belt is that tight and it still jumps time, the belt isn't slipping. You probably have a sheared woodruff key in the crank timing sprocket. You may even need a new crank timing sprocket as well, like I did. Disassemble the crank snout, all the way back to the crankshaft oil seal, and see what you find. The crank snout may be too damaged to even use the crank anymore.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it out with my buddy. He's planning a JZ swap, but I'm trying to get him to get this car running before it becomes another lawn ornament.

However with the car, after we time it and then start it up. It jumps when we either rev it really high, or drive it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts