Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking to buy a 6M ECU. If you're looking to sell or know where I can get my hands on one, shoot me a PM. I don't have an ebay account, and I'd prefer to avoid sites like that. Thanks.

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
good luck, there's probably like 5 ECUs in the USA, lol.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Um, why? A 5MGE ECU (85-6) will work just fine on the 6MGE, probably better as it doesn't have the limiter and isn't for an automatic transmission. I know Scorpmatt and Tanya have fiddled with the 6M ECU and got better performance with the 5M ECU. I know results have been posted (and the pink wire of TomD, huh?).

Now, if you are wanting it to try to reprogram it please tell us more about your plans. The fuel/air controls under acceleration definitely can use some improvement.

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
Uhh..... hey Rich, I'm running the 6M ECU and I had to lean out the AFM< gaining 13hp/tq...... so I don't know about the 5M ECU being "better" or "worse" honestly, just saying. 6M ECU is mapped to be slightly richer is all.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Uhh..... hey Rich, I'm running the 6M ECU and I had to lean out the AFM< gaining 13hp/tq...... so I don't know about the 5M ECU being "better" or "worse" honestly, just saying. 6M ECU is mapped to be slightly richer is all.
Richer - just to handle the larger cu in? or richer even accounting for the greater displacement?

Any other differences you've noticed?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I tired a 6M ECU on the 5/6M 3.1L hybrid in the Celipra, and all it did was make it pop (backfire) when revving down. Now I cannot say that it was not the ECU since Matt was also having the same issue with it.

With all the work that the Hybrid engine has (see sig), I am still running a 5M ECU, but it is not much longer until I get rid of that and get MS installed.

·
POTATO
17,324 Posts
Richer - just to handle the larger cu in? or richer even accounting for the greater displacement?

Any other differences you've noticed?

richer to account for the fact the JDM engine does not have an EGR. 6MGE engines have the same 182cc injectors as the 5M, and I do believe all the same fuel part #s (except AFM)

I've not ever had any serious rich issues, but leaning the AFM out 6 clicks got me a 13whp/13tq and 3mpg gain under 4700rpm. Above that, EC takes over and dumps gas, regardless whether it's a 5M or 6M ECU.

p.s. I initially ran the 5M ECU with my 6M but it had weird idle down issues, stalling/almost stalling. I tried nuking the codes in it but the issue was always there. The 6M ECU cured that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want one for the reasons that Tanya listed. I'm still interested in getting one if anyone is willing to part with one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts