Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need this part pretty bad. I am looking into same day shipping.. reply post, pm, email: [email protected]

stock 1983, part no. 89620-14360

the coil in is connected to the ignitor in this image. I DO NOT NEED THE COIL.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dont mean to second guess that the ignitor is the bad part........ Unless you swap it with a good one, it's hard to narrow it down to the ignitor. I was having starting issues awhile ago and would have bet a large sum of money that it was the ignitor. It turned out to be a no signal situation from the afm.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was the ignitor?

I checked the parts bin, and have a 85, but that doesnt help you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do not believe the 82 is interchangeable.

abusedog,
from the 1983 tsrm that came with my car.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
mmm my spare igniter assy part number is 89620-14361, cant tell if will work for your application.

·
Registered
837 Posts
ok an looking at the part numbers (aftermarket) they are one digit off and looking at the pictures all it looks like is that the plugs are different. i can call tomorrow and see if the voltage differs but if you dont mind doing a little surgery changing out the plugs i think it would work. they have the same number and color of wires just different ends.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
went to the pick n pull today. NO supras, NO cressidas. I pulled an igniter out of a 91 camry. part no. 89621 32010. anyone know of the voltage on these? its got matching color wires coming out (black, yellow, pink, brown and white)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
from looking at photos at napa online, the 83/84 appear to have the same plugs. mine has 5 green connecters with the colors mentioned above.

does anyone know if i can use the igniter from an 84?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
84 does look different. Looks like 83 is a one off year. They might work the same(and need to just have the connectors changed) but its hard to tell. You might not need to even. Compare yours with his and these pictures:

83:

84/85:

84 Cressida

I have an igniter from a CDM 84 Supra in my 84 Cressida.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have an 84 Cressida one and 84/85/86 one here, and I think they might work with each other(you use the coil that comes with its as the coil plug is a bit different i think), but don't have an 83 to test with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dog,
came across your old post, checking the afm now. ...

afm resistance checks out good.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anyone have an 83 or 84/85 igniter with coil? If i can get the coil with the igniter then I can save myself the surgery. if only igniters are available that will do as well. shipping to 32304.

·
Registered
'84 Dark Blue Converted to 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,451 Posts
I should have an 83...definitely have 84 coil & igniter combo...anyway, I'll check the 83 Part # tomorrow and get back if U haven't already found one.

D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts