Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm trying to get a discontinued set of parts made for this community, again. Since not everybody seem to like the upgraded axles I had made (thank you George for making it possible), I've decided to try and get something else made. Like that situation, I will require the part to have it based on; in this case, Addco Sway bars.

I didn't make anything off the axles, and I am not planning on making anything off sway bars. Out of my own free time and needs, do I get things done.

If anybody knows someone that has a set of Addco sway bars laying around or that would be willing to remove them and ship them out on faith, it would literally benefit at least 20 other people.

You will get the bars back, no problem. Mounting hardware would be great to have, too.

There's just the physical aspect of having a set of bars to measure up. If you wanted sway bars made for the MKII Supra again, all it's going to take is for someone to pony up a set for R&D. So if you want bars, and you know someone holding onto a set or perhaps even, someone who is not driving their car for the winter or has a blown engine etc., it would be great to reach out.

I've asked several members in the community that have a great deal of experience with various suspension setups, for their opinions and feedback. I've had their personal experience from real world results, and have been reading a lot on other sites and about other platforms. Basically, there really isn't a "perfect" sway bar. I've decided to get something made that is best matched in performance for the general population, and an improvement on the weight aspect over the Addcos, without losing any stiffness. I'm doing my best to make sure the bars get made to be adjustable for both front, and rear. So, people who may argue a Whiteline or Addco is better than one another, really needs to just match up the bars to other parts on their builds for the best performance. Once again, there is only a "better" bar if your setup compliments those bars, and these bars will have some adjustable points to get as close as you can.

Feel free to share your experiences and reference other threads. If you want a one off bar, I am not sure how possible it will be, but I'm going to need something to work off of. PM me.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Thanks for taking up this project Jeffrey. I certainly know how much a time/financial investment these projects require. I don't currently have a spare Addco front or rear bar anymore, but have a custom rear adjustable bar copied off the rear Addco that I would be willing to loan you for measurement purposes. I've developed a endlink design for the bar too so that could be one example for links if needed. You might want to snag an actual Addco for measuring, but let me know if I can help.

Don L.

·
POTATO
17,207 Posts
I heard from someone else who contacted them recently that Addco themselves would provide if they got a certain number of orders, as usual. It was either 20/30.

·
Founding Member
6,259 Posts
I heard from someone else who contacted them recently that Addco themselves would provide if they got a certain number of orders, as usual. It was either 20/30.
One thing cool about Addco was I called them about replacement bushings like a decade after buying the sway bars and they just sent me a set for free, including new end links and everything. I didn't remember having any kind of warranty, but it says lifetime warranty on their website. If you can put together however many they require, that'd be the way to go.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've also emailed Addco and it's silent over there for a reason. There's been a few changes over there ;)

The older Addco may not be a perfect bar, anyway. This is a chance to make one better, if you can believe that.

A hollow bar that's adjustable. That's something the original Addco never has offered. The customer service will be the same as Addco was, years ago.

Waiting on Addco by sitting around is not the way to go. Things at Addco changed, and I'm sharing with you how to get this going.

Don, I'll PM you back.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Save myself some headache... I don't feel like trying to compete with the "I heard from someone else...."

The whole time I've been conversing directly with the Addco Vice President of OEM Operations, Dan Osborne.

His picture and contact is located on this page, in case you folks want to reach out to him yourselves. http://www.addco.net/ContactUs.htm

I'm not sure who keeps telling people about the minimum order, but there's a reason Dan specifically requested a front sway bar to copy. There will not be a wait to fill 20 orders. You're welcome.

Whether they lost the template for our car, or went through restructuring, the fact is I'm requesting Addco sway bars to get made again by the same company and we're going to try and make them better.

So if you know someone or if you have a set of Addco sway bars, please PM me so I can finish coordinating all of this. Feel free to do it yourselves too, I just set it up for you this much.

Thank you.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be awesome, Gamble. Thank you very much.

It was explained that the Addco style is what would be preferred, mainly because it is the easiest to make, and seems to work very well.

I think we have a rear bar from Don, so all we need is a front bar. Again, thank you!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have a set of brand new bars, front and rear that were purchased during the last group buy - never installed. I will need them back for sure.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're lucky to have people in this community that are willing to help with this. There will be a cost of shipping the bars to the facility in North Carolina. I for one am willing to donate some cash directly to those who end up having to brunt the cost of this for our community. Working that part out, but please keep that in mind.

Funkycheeze and Gamble, thank you very much. I think we have a set of bars in the US willing to go to the Addco Manufacturing facility, and I will keep everyone updated here.

So, what I will focus on as mentioned previously:

Better mounting hardware and end link designs, front and rear hollow bars that are lighter in weight AND adjustable. IF we can get this done, it will essentially be a "Generation 2" set of Addcos. However, due to the restructuring/branching off of Dan Osborne forming his own company (Carolina Swaybar Manufacturing), it may not be called an "Addco" bar. Don't worry about quality control, because the Addco address on their website and Carolina Swaybar Manufacturing are the exact same building, and Dan has been making bars for both companies.

Dan is both the Vice President at Addco, and the President of Carolina Swaybars.

I will update the thread as needed but it looks like we have what is required, and I'll be surfing and maybe asking technical questions from time to time.

Thank you all very much.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I am tentatively interested in a set. Some front subframe rot was discovered when we had the 5M out, thanks to battery leakage, so I'm not 100% sure of the future of my entire suspension, but if she can be saved this is certainly in my sights.

Also, I'm impressed by your commitment to this little car community, so cheers to you.

·
Super Moderator
8,168 Posts
Honestly I'd sent them a set of stockers. A copy of the copy usually isn't a great idea. It would be nice to have the dip around the crank pulley back IMO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jeffrey,
Thanks for taking this on, I was the guy Tanya said she heard from about this as i saw on the forum that she was looking for Addcos too.

I tried to order the Addco's from Jeg's in December as they still listed them for sale on their site. 2 Weeks later Jeg's cancelled my order and said these were discontinued.

So I contacted Addco via email and a guy named John in their sales department emailed me back said they would put these back into production with a minimum order of 10 of front and 10 of back. He said they would discount them since they are selling direct, see copied quote below.

Part # 745 = $177.41 retails for $ 224.44

Part # 375 = $132.15 retails for $167.17

I wanted to start a group buy feeler thread, but haven't done it yet.

I just want new sway bars and don't care how we get them, sounds like you have a lot of work already in this so I'll be on the list to order these from you. What is the estimated time frame for getting them completed? Soon i hope.

I live in NC about two and a half hours from Addco's NC manufacturing facility (Carolina Swaybar) in Linville, so if i need to help with any logistics let me know.

Thanks

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getting straight answers from Addco was not easy. It's been what, four years since they made these bars? I thought something wasn't quite right. Having worn many hats myself in my life including CEO, I decided to just go to someone that can do something about this. It's how I get a lot of things done, and it's just business. Whether it's in the military, in Iraq, or the civilian world, it's all the same.

A group buy would be nice and I think there may be others willing to take that responsibility.

I'm really hoping and pushing for a design update to the bars. This might be one of the rare chances a company uses input from the target community to make such improvements. If things do end up going in that direction, then these bars will be preferred over anything else made before. That's what I keep pushing for, and I appreciate everyone's support. It's been amazing.

I've already inquired if it's best to have a test fit vehicle nearby to install these, but we haven't gotten there yet. I'll make sure to get back to you. I would feel better with having bars test fitted, and I'll make sure to include that in conversations to come.

Honestly I'd sent them a set of stockers. A copy of the copy usually isn't a great idea. It would be nice to have the dip around the crank pulley back IMO.
I've no first hand experience with fabricating sway bars, but I have seen how it's done. If that's what they ask for, that's what they get. I'll mention a test vehicle in the area, so we may be okay.

Does the Addco not have the dip for the pulley? If not, I'll bring this up. I have also seen some JZ swap folks have issues with the oil pans. Seems the solution is the modify the pan, and I think that would be best over all to keep the cost down for everybody that doesn't need it.

I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, but I'm open to more input. This is our chance.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Hopefully a local Supra owner can offer to test fit the initial production bars. Seems only reasonable, and the company should be assured of fitment this way.

All the front bars I've had always had a slight dip in front for the crank pulley. The Addco bar certainly did, as did all my custom front bars. No issue clearing my 1jz crank pulley (stock pulley) with my 1.25" front bar, though it is close. The Addco diameter of 1 & 1/8" should not be an issue. The picture attached shows the Addco bar I had on top, slight dip in middle of bar, never has issues with the clearance. I will mention to everyone that it sometimes is necessary to enlarge the holes in the strut rod mounting bracket so the new sway bar ends can pass through. This is the mounting bracket that secures the caster adjusting rod, from front frame to the lower control arm. I seem to recall having to do this for the Addco, but it has been a few decades or so.

Don L.

front custom sways by toy4speed, on Flickr

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time frame is not known. The only source of diligence is being nice and saying please.

With that said, I think we could be looking at a few months or less. I have no control over this, and have probably said a lot of things that are still up in the air. However, these things have been said and relayed how I've explained them, and that's the best I can do.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I can tell you that with the stock bar, I now have in the neighborhood of 1/4" of clearance around the 1JZ crank pulley, it's extremely close. Certainly an item worth close inspection.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Don's right about having to enlarge the holes in the strut rod mounting bracket for the Addco to fit through properly. It would be nice if they'd actually make them closer to OEM shape so that wasn't necessary. Their rear bar came with the wrong length end link bolts and their bolts were smaller diameter than they should have been as well. Their recommendation was to leave them a bit loose???? WTF??? The end result was that the sway bar mounting tabs on the rear arms often broke off as the rear arms could end up hanging from the sway bar instead of being travel limited by the shocks as they should have been. Their supplied links were about 1 1/2" too short as I recall. And mounted at stock ride height with their supplied end links, the sides of their bar was at a pretty large downward angle instead of close to horizontal, which is as they should be.
But look around for yourself, Addco's are known for not fitting anything nearly as well as anything else does. Maybe they'll bother making sure they fit correctly this time. But I'd bet they'll just bend up what they offered previously. Maybe WhiteLine would be interested in a limited run for a group buy. That would get even more folks interested. Just my 2 Canadian pesos worth. YMMV
Edit: My bad. I missed that this would be all new stuff properly designed. That would be good indeed.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The clearance may not be that great, but if it's not causing a direct problem or improve performance, I'm not going to bring it up.

I'll be back in the country next week, so I'll have more hands on visuals with a stock bar and Fluidampr pulley.

As far as being "committed to this little car community"... I did say I would never have anything else made for this community... Oh well, guess you can't trust me anymore. ;)

If I want something for my car and it's not available, I always find a way.

Thanks.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don's right about having to enlarge the holes in the strut rod mounting bracket for the Addco to fit through properly. It would be nice if they'd actually make them closer to OEM shape so that wasn't necessary. Their rear bar came with the wrong length end link bolts and their bolts were smaller diameter than they should have been as well. Their recommendation was to leave them a bit loose???? WTF??? The end result was that the sway bar mounting tabs on the rear arms often broke off as the rear arms could end up hanging from the sway bar instead of being travel limited by the shocks as they should have been. Their supplied links were about 1 1/2" too short as I recall. And mounted at stock ride height with their supplied end links, the sides of their bar was at a pretty large downward angle instead of close to horizontal, which is as they should be.
But look around for yourself, Addco's are known for not fitting anything nearly as well as anything else does. Maybe they'll bother making sure they fit correctly this time. But I'd bet they'll just bend up what they offered previously. Maybe WhiteLine would be interested in a limited run for a group buy. That would get even more folks interested. Just my 2 Canadian pesos worth. YMMV
I brought up the factory bar and shape, and it will simply take more time and cost a lot more to put all the bends in it. From a production standpoint, it wasn't worth it.

Right now, having bars is the first step. The mounting hardware is secondary, but I will address this. Don has suggested a double rod end, and I think that for both front and rear is a great solution.

What we need is a good example of the end links we want used. If you have a good set of end links that work more ideally than what was offered the first time, by all means send measurements and dimensions.

If you know someone that has a set of Whitelines, have them PM me with some pictures or see if they would be willing to donate a set for R&D.

You could also try and get with one of the big wigs at Whiteline, too. Maybe they could bring those back. I just don't hear much about how well they performed on the MKII platform, either. Nobody has yet to provide as much experience across different sets of bars, than Don. From what I've read on the forums, there's only a few people who swear by Whitelines by either comparing stiffness, or how they fit. None of those really mean much in terms of actual performance, given the rest of the car has to be setup to use any bar to it's max potential.

I do think however, a bar should not really be judged on how easily it fits, but how well they actually perform. If I can't get that kind of support for other bars, other bars won't even be considered. That's just the way it's going to be.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts