·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Is it Factory or Aftermarket??

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would assume the one on my 83 terracotta is factory. Would need to look later.
Did they put any markings on the windshield indicating if it is factory? Like now they usually have the car manufacturer name on the glass.

·
Super Moderator
8,166 Posts
The factory windshield says Toyota in the lower left corner. The odds of shipping one of these successfully are pretty low...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Looking for a windshield with the Bronze tint at the top.
I have checked all local window shops and none show any new ones. They are completely clear or have the dark blue tint.
I'm pretty sure I have one... thought it odd when I saw it...as I'd nvr seen the Bronze colour B4. I've worked for North American Van lines in High School... & often had to build crates for overseas shipping... including Royal Dalton China... so I can build a crate in which it'd arrive intact.

I'd try & make the crate as light as possible... but will add substantially to the weight... As it is... ANYTHING shipped fr Canada across the border to US... has got RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE... So if U can find one closer to you... Shipping cost would b a LOT cheaper...

So take Ur time & look around... & if U don't find something closer... LMK

Cheers,

·
Registered
893 Posts
The windshields on my 1983 and 1984 are original and have the following markings:

1983 OEM Glass
Toyota
DOT23 Nippon Safety
NSG M4911

1984 OEM Glass
Toyota
Lamisafe
LP Asahi
M554 AS1
DOT-20

They have a light blue tint on the top.

The DOT number is a unique number assigned to all glass manufacturer factories

http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

You can find out where your windshield was manufactured by looking this up.
There have been a LOT of changes in manufacturers with many being bought out by other manufacturers. These factories may no longer exist but you can certainly see where they came from. It's also quite possible that many newer factories, especially in China may not be listed here.

There is a good link to windshield markings in general.

http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings

The M number is the manufacturer's model number.
It identifies the glass construction, including the color and thickness. An M number may be used by multiple part numbers.

Dale

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave,
Thanks for offering.
I am assuming it is in good condition. No cracks or chips.
What would you be looking to get for it and the crate construction.
Might be able to ship to BC and I can pick up from there. Would have to do a bit of persuasion with my friends up north. They may all be taken in by Megxit but I will try.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Darrow any update on your search for a bronze windshield??

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely factory Toyota. Has the Toyota stamp. Don't currently remember all the other codes. Only Dave's offer but haven't gotten an update from him.

i will get a pic of the label today.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Definitely factory Toyota. Has the Toyota stamp. Don't currently remember all the other codes. Only Dave's offer but haven't gotten an update from him.

i will get a pic of the label today.
Kinda got swamped with "orders" ... yet ran into issue w not being able to put Winter beater Jetta on road due to outstanding Parking tickets... borrowing friend's Van Fri to go to Storage Trailer with Paper Printouts of parts ppl are after that I have to search for... will Tape lists to inside of Storage Trailer...

Any Windshields are packaged in Cardboard so they don't get scratched or Cracked... Didn't mark on Cardboard... which SPECIFIC one had Gold tint... so have to unwrap them to find out... lots of stuff i can't even GUESSTIMATE how long it will take me to look for ...& take pics of...

All I can say is I will do my best... Cheers,

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Dave, Thanks for taking a look. I am hoping it is in good condition.
Was FINALLY able to spend a good few hours at Storage Trailer... The Windshields are way on the top shelves & kinda blocked by Full Exhausts & other stuff I have near the roof... Especially as I' ve torn BOTH Rotator Cuffs ...& only ONE shoulder has been operated on... it's very hard for me to do stuff above shoulder height... So it would be a bitch for me to get them down & unpackage them...

It's more important to organize the Lower shelves first... but when I do eventually get around to organizing the top section... (it won't be until next summer) ... i will check back in case U still haven't found one...

Sorry bout that... can't spend a few hours just trying to get the down & unwrapped.. ...to see which one has the gold tint.

Hopefully U can find one closer to U anyway... so shipping is cheaper....

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave,
Really appreciate the effort. If my job offer comes through I will be in Japan next (2021) summer. May be a moot point then as shipping is even worse. I would be moving this (2020) August if everything goes smoothly.
I hope one shows up that is closer.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Dave,
Really appreciate the effort. If my job offer comes through I will be in Japan next (2021) summer. May be a moot point then as shipping is even worse. I would be moving this (2020) August if everything goes smoothly.
I hope one shows up that is closer.
Hey Darrow... sounds like it would be a wicked experience... being in Japan... definitely challenging... now matter what Profession one is in...

Anyway, Maybe U (or Ur company is paying for ALL moving costs) ...are shipping the car to Japan ? If that is the case U might POSSIBLY have an EASIER & CHEAPER time finding the Windshield down there ?

U might want to check into that possibility now... & if U find one there... have someone hold it down there ...until U arrive...

Just a thought,

Cheers,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts