Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty I made a thread a few days ago about a different set of sportmax wheels, and with the help of others realized they look like dicks. After some further research, I have come across these brand new rims by SSR. I would like your opinions.

I'd be putting these on this car:

16x8, 0 offset. I can get them for just over 400 bucks shipped. I know I'll need hubcentric rings, but I don't know what those actually are, or where I'd purchase them. Opinions please!

-Forrest

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm interested in seeing what they look like on our cars. But i've heard that XXRs are poor quality when compared to other wheel brands.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I like them, i think it would look hot on your car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Scott.

SupraLee- I assume for that cheap of a price these things will be less than stellar in quality. I don't have a whole lot of money to blow on these things though, and the price is right.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm in the same boat also. I think they'll look awesome on the Mk2. What size are you planning to get?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
16x8, 0 offset. Should fit exactly the same as Phil's wheels here, except he is running a 16mm rear spacer.

On a separate note: I love the 500lb springs I purchased off of you last year. They balanced out the suspension on my car nearly perfectly.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm after looking at the rest of the pictures of the wheels on his car, I'm beginning to wonder if I will be running into issues with the wheels striking the front flares.

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=29140&page=6

^post 52^

With my GC coilovers I am able to compensate by lifting my car up a bit from where it sits now, but I kind of like it slammed way down. Maybe I'll just have to get them and learn for myself :).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some further research, I now know that the 16x8 522's only come in 0 offset. I'm debating now if it might be worth it to go with the 16x7 +25 and running a 10-15 mm spacer up front, with 16x8's in the rear. I wonder if that would look silly with these wheels?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just remembered that I was looking at getting the same wheels a while back. I'm looking forward to see these on your car. subscribed

·
Registered
637 Posts
do the 16x7's have a different lip size? if so thw 16x8's should have a bigger lip correct? i had 16x8's in the rear and 16x7's in the front, they looked really cool.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Not bad! ...easy answer, add front camber.

Th 16x8 +0mm should be OK, but you will be limited on tire size. No 255's fo you.

It is by far one of the best handling modifications I've ever done, second only to replacing blown out struts on all 4corners.

--billyM

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Just FYI, the first pic is one of a 17 or 18, not a 16, there is a difference:

16:

17:

But I do like the 16s and it does not hurt that they are pretty cheap. They are one of the 3 rims I am looking at that are available new.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys! looks like this will be a good excuse for me to purchase some adjustable camber plates.

One last question: When purchasing these hubcentric rings that I need, do I need to know any specific diameters? Also (I know this is a question I can figure out myself, but it's easier to ask) do I need 4 or just 2? Do I need to use hubcentric rings if I will be running spacers in the back?

Thanks everybody! I'll get some money in my paypal account this weekend and I will hopefully have a set of these headed my way in the near future.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
Not bad! ...easy answer, add front camber.

Th 16x8 +0mm should be OK, but you will be limited on tire size. No 255's fo you.

It is by far one of the best handling modifications I've ever done, second only to replacing blown out struts on all 4corners.

--billyM
x2. I'm not sure about 16s, but 15s made a world of difference. Especially with a decent set of tires.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Check ebay for the best pricing, I have seen them as low as $330 + $100 S&H for a set of FOUR 16x8 0 offset, in Chromium Black. If you don't like ebay, www.nlmotoring.com has them for about $94 a wheel, which isn't bad either.

I wouldn't expect stellar quality, however the price is GREAT, I plan to just get 4 initially, then when I curb one, buy another and use the curbed one as a spare.

BTW. It has been a toss up between these and the Rota P-45R's, however the XXR 522's WILL be my next purchase as it's getting nigh impossible to find 225 60 14's.

LIKE the 522's

YES you will need hub-centric rings. You will need a set of four if you run no spacers.

Hub Center Diameter is: 60.1
Wheel Bore Diameter: 73.1

As for your question about Rear Spacers... I would want to get a rear spacer that was hub-centric, had an inner diameter of 60.1 and a lip of 73.1, this way your spacer is also acting as a hub-centric ring adapter and helps to keep the wheel aligned/centered. 1010tires.com has the proper ones you need for $34.99 Inside Diameter of 60.1, Outside Diameter of 73.1.

Make sure to put a small amount of Anti-Sieze on the back/inside of the rings to keep them from permanently fusing to the Hub/Rotor/Wheel.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a bunch rusty. Looks like I have all of the information I need to get this rolling. I will be running rear spacers, so I will only purchase two hubcentric rings along with 2 hubcentric spacers. Those diameters will be a great help to me.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i wish they had the 006, and 962 in our sizes...

still dude they're not bad, remember, in the end, no matter what we say, it is going on your car, and you're gonna rock it dude!!
they're okay IMO, they remind me of the volks te37, like so:

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
17s look much better than the 16s IMO. I think they would look best on an LType....but any wheels looks good on SDR ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts