Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is a blog post....oh well ;)

So, I bought this hideous piece for $50. 1979 XS650. No title. Its all there, rust isn't too bad and it appears to have original paint/badges etc. Gas good, oil good but it sat for 3 years outside. Calipers are hung and crusty. I picked it up tonight and soaked everything down for a safe start.

I hope to get it running Saturday....if it runs and shifts OK its on to step 2. The basic plan is to lop off the rear susp and add a weld on rigid section. They are ~$250. My friend is a master TIG pimp, so he will handle that for me. I will keep the mags (most go to spokes), electrical system, forks, Lower the forks 2" and go to a dual front disc if possible (with Brembo calipers if I can find them) and call it a day. Cheap sprung seat, cheap lo-pro rear fender, battery box that will house the coils and whatever I can squeeze in there and a basic late model Sporty style tank. Not sure if I'm going to do a rat style, or bling it up a big. The engine looks like major hell now, so the rat style is easy to achieve ;) I'm leaning twd a clean look....as thats what I generally prefer. I will prob tire of the 'rat' look quickly. TOTAL $$$ target $1,000. That includes title and all.

Wish me luck ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mike, you definatly have a project on your hands ... but I dig the concept.

Dual disks and Brembos ... I'd rethink that personally. Especially if you plan on raking it at all. Too much front brake is scary $hit on older bikes. I borrowed an old GS 400 for a road test on a rainy day. Someone put a super grabby set of brake pads on the front. F'ing things locked at 60mph with two finger touch. Scary, scary, $hit and had absolutly no "feel" at all.

Those bars ... have GOT to go.:mm_gay:

$1000 budjet??? That's tight. You are replacing BOTH tires with decent rubber right? Chain, sprockets, Cables, ect.

Just in maintanece items you'll spend $1000 to get that bike road worthy just as it looks now. DEFINATLY get it running perfectly before you spend a dime on modifying. Nothing will be more frusterating then a good looking bike, that doesn't run 100%. Trust me ... I know.

I went through a similar situation with an 1985 Virago 500. Stripped the badges and plastic, almost flat drag bars, dropped the forks and stiffened them up, and painted everything gloss black. Looked cool ... rode O.K. but it's fate ... junk yard for scrap. Never ending CDI problems and a flawed starter gear design just ate money. :32: I couldn't sell it to someone knowing it was a money pit with no bottom ... so I crushed it and ate the loss.

Well good luck, and keep us updated.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, something like the copper bike...without the fake oil tank. Cheap/simple. In the hardcore 'chopper' world it will be plain jane...but thats fine for me.

82: I hear ya. If I cant get the engine and trans 90% in the beginning, its going on Craigslist or I will part it out. The 650 is a BEAST of an engine....incredibly bulletproof - so my fingers are crossed. I def wont skimp on core items...but I got my '71 looking REALLY nice for ~$1300 total. I have $290 in badges on that bike!

With this roach, I'm going to re-use just the essentials. Frame, motor, forks, mags, electrical. Everything else goes away. Might do an MX or drag bar...need to see once its together somewhat. Sticking with stock neck...no rake. Will lower it a few inches between rigid rear and lowered stock shocks.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Those old bikes have good bones. I've got a cb500 that I bobbed, I still need to rework the seat. Most of the work isn't too hard to to and parts are VERY easy to come by on the net. Ebay is your best friend on these builds, gasket kits and rebuild kits are super cheap on there.

Are you planning on painting it? I shaved all my emblems, filled them, chopped the fenders and then rattle canned mine. I found the dulpicolor was the most durable rattle can paint, I just sprayed it on thick and wet sanded it down, looks glassy smooth and costs next to nothing.

Have fun! These budget builds are a blast and give you something to really be proud of when your done!

Choppers aren't choppers if you buy em that way :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts