Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to ditch the old trailling arm setup and go with a more modern suspension setup.
After some research I chose the s13 240sx.
Tons of aftermarket support, plenty of diff options, and easily converted to 5 lug.

using my parts car for mock up

front mounts extended

I still have to finish boxing and welding the rear mount pads and figure out what coilovers to use.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Nice, a couple other people have done this as well. I have a full rear s13 subframe sitting on a shelf waiting to get this done too.

So you extended the fronts of the s13 subframe to fit to the supras stock studs? Are the rear studs you added in cut from an s13 or did you make those?

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Looking great, William!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, a couple other people have done this as well. I have a full rear s13 subframe sitting on a shelf waiting to get this done too.

So you extended the fronts of the s13 subframe to fit to the supras stock studs? Are the rear studs you added in cut from an s13 or did you make those?
Yeah I know but non of them shown any good pictures on how they have done it. So I decided to make a thread on how I am doing it.
Yes extend the front. Make new mounting locations for the rear. The rear studs are the rear mkii studs.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah I know but non of them shown any good pictures on how they have done it. So I decided to make a thread on how I am doing it.
Yes extend the front. Make new mounting locations for the rear. The rear studs are the rear mkii studs.
Exactly!, no one has had in depth documentation on it with pics like this I don't believe.

Nice, and all the studs are the proper size?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice!
Been telling the MX71 guys to do this for decades.
They never do, instead they just complain about broken stub shafts...

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Ha ha, I've been telling people to do this for decades here too lol. So much simpler then modifing the stock subframe to fit an 8 inch diff (though perhaps not simpler then the rare 85/86 Soarer one).

I almost went for this IRS, but the mk3 Supra one looked a little simpler to fit. I do like the option of keeping the 4 bolt setup though, and perhaps the track width is a touch less.

Whats your plan for mounting shocks? is it going to line up close enough for the stock mounting point or are you going to have to graft in different towers?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha, I've been telling people to do this for decades here too lol. So much simpler then modifing the stock subframe to fit an 8 inch diff (though perhaps not simpler then the rare 85/86 Soarer one).

I almost went for this IRS, but the mk3 Supra one looked a little simpler to fit. I do like the option of keeping the 4 bolt setup though, and perhaps the track width is a touch less.

Whats your plan for mounting shocks? is it going to line up close enough for the stock mounting point or are you going to have to graft in different towers?
I was going to weld the s13 strut towers in but I think I can get away with just using a custom coilover. I will have to use the half moon upper control arms for coilover to clear. The mkii upper shock mount is a little farther back than the s13.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I wound up getting coilovers from Group D. They sell a s13 rear subframe conversion for the ae86. I bough there conversion coilovers. They are a bit short though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I wound up getting coilovers from Group D. They sell a s13 rear subframe conversion for the ae86. I bough there conversion coilovers. They are a bit short though.

So will you still need the half moon for the camber ? The round part on the ground ? Maybe more pictures , seems from pictures I pulled from Group D you could use stock but coil over rear shocks they do sell them a couple places in the more correct lengths

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So will you still need the half moon for the camber ? The round part on the ground ? Maybe more pictures , seems from pictures I pulled from Group D you could use stock but coil over rear shocks they do sell them a couple places in the more correct lengths
The coilovers are angled slightly towards the rear of the car so a half moon upper control arm is needed. The Group D coilovers are to short, I am going to modifty them to work. I think the T3 coilovers would have worked better. I have been slowly the rest of the parts that are needed to complete the front and the rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts