Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and joined yesterday after coming to the reality that miss my lost Supra very bad. Now that I've made my mind up to get another one, I have been on the internet looking and now realize that I have some very big decisions to make. My old girl was a beautiful dark copper (some called her brown) '83 L-Type that I treated like a queen in her heyday. Even up until the point of losing her, the interior was nearly flawless save some driver's side floor damage from a leaking brake MC.

After looking at a lot of the photographs, I seem to have some big decisions to make. I have always loved the L-Type with her sleeker lines, nice smooth riding suspension and comfortable luxurious interior accomodations. My brother had a very nice P-Type and, even though his Supra was newer than mine, I still liked my L better. But that was over twenty years ago and I've seen some pretty impressive (and aggressive) looking P-Types while perusing the galleries. I've also noticed that most of the L-types that I have seem for sale have the automatic transmission. My old girl had a manual tranny that I loved. I still think I would love the manual transmission, but am a few years older and see the practicality of an automatic. Car restoration is not new to me. I've have some sort of small British car in the throes of restoration in my shop at any given time during the past 14 years. So, do I want to find one already restored or do I want to get one that I can add my own personal touches and make it the way I want? I have a lot to consider before picking out a Supra. Of course given the ultimate choice, I'd want my old girl back, but that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Id bet if ya did enough phone work you could find your car. It has to be around somewhere. More time you wait the more parts are being removed though :(

I like both of the body types but prefer P-type. Auto to manual swap really isn't a big deal. I have a swapped car in my driveway and it looks completely natural (aside from Power/Normal switch).

Have fun on your Supra mission.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
:twocents: I've had both newer P & older L type, manual and auto and like beautiful women - loved both! I'm a little older and married now, so the more refined Terra Cotta L-type automatic suits my lifestyle better than would my hot red or fast black P-type sticks (although I would still like to drive those chick magnets! lol) Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck on your search!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
It would rock if you were able to find her. I live in Ga too, so if I see any descent ones about, I'll give you a yell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome
if your looking for a sweet L type/ auto, ck Dennis (tiksman) got one 4 sale;
beautiful car, 9/10 & cheap he is in north atlanta.
the catch is you have to go to Cody's meet next year.
all the other cars will be jealous!

·
Registered
456 Posts
old british car ? tell me more!
im currently working on a 63 seriesIII alpine myself (off and on)

I think you should progress a little...
I may be bias here but im currently in the process of doing something you may approve of.
I took an all stock 84 5mge supra that has seen better days and is quite tired from the trip. Stripped it down to bare shell, and am currently rebuilding her with modern components with the performance/reliability aspect in mind.

The 5mge is out and is being swapped with a 1uzfe (quad cam aluminum V8 from a lexus).
Auto ac system was removed and replaced with a non-ac heater core from a celica.
suspension got a re-fresh with poly bushings all around, kyb gr2 struts, dobson 1.5" performance springs, and more stout sway bars are in the works.
Audio system will be upgraded to 6.5" pioneer premier speakers all around powered by a 4 channel amp attached to a touch screen dvd head unit with a few kicker comp cvr subs to richen up the lower end.
and here is what i think you will approve of.
other than the LED cluster lights, the big touch screen radio and possible fixed back racing seats, the interior is simply going to be refreshed, new carpet, with very little updates. The exterior as well, will just be stock and clean....

I know this plan doesn’t exactly work in your case as you will probably want to keep AC, and a full stock interior without all the fancy audio. But i feel in the long run you will be very happy with a car that looks like your old friend but handles well enough to keep up with the modern traffic...

I also urge you to consider an engine swap.
I may be bias with the 1uz, but you have the v8 rumble, without much (if any) added weight. The swap will be incredibly easy for you with your fabrication skills and if you decide to keep the automatic transmission attached to the 1uz (the manual transmission conversion on the 1uz is the expensive and time consuming part of the swap)
But i have nothing bad to say about the 7mgte swap, the 1jz swap or even the boosted 5m or 6m engine. In the long run i think you will have more fun with something a little quicker than you remember!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Welcome
if your looking for a sweet L type/ auto, ck Dennis (tiksman) got one 4 sale;
beautiful car, 9/10 & cheap he is in north atlanta.
the catch is you have to go to Cody's meet next year.
all the other cars will be jealous!
Thanks for the props!! Yes my white 85 is still for sale but I am not very agressive in selling it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Welcome! Glad that another MkII for sale somewhere will find a loving owner who will take care of it. Our cars are so cheap now that kids are buying them and trashing them as racers and drifters. Save the Supras!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts