Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a young Canadian owner (17) of a 1982 Celica Supra in the Niagara Region. I bought it back in February, it had a few modifications done to it when I bought it, the biggest one being the engine has been replaced with a 7m-ge. The body has around 180,000 km on it and the engine has 45,000 km. The breaks need replacing, as do the break lines, which I have all of the parts for as they were included in the sale. However, my cousin (who is helping me) and I aren't exactly professional mechanics. If any of you fine people have any suggestions, tips, or recommendations I would love to hear them. I'd prefer not to have to take it to a garage as that would take a big chunk out of my savings, but I would if I had to.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome to the site! If you go to the brake section of the forum you can probably get a lot of useful info there. Also check the "Introduce Yourself" thread started by "millerrdee1", towards the bottom of that thread somebody has posted links to the Toyota Factory repair manual which will come in handy for you regarding proper procedures, torque values for bolts etc....

Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Turbo '84 Dk Blue Auto-> 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,639 Posts
Welcome to the "Wonderful world of Supras" ... U'll soon be an ADDICT... like the rest of us, LOL

All of the '83 spare parts I need for my own car... but if U need somethng fr an 84 that fits 82 ... LMK... I'm not that far fr U in Waterloo....

Cheers,

·
Founding Member
6,698 Posts
Don't worry, you'll be able to renew the brakes just fine on your own. Its one of the most basic repair skills to learn. And best of all, you have this forum which was unimaginable when I was your age. When I was 15, my father traded for a wrecked, late model Honda Civic with a damaged motor. He trailered it home and surprised me with it one day after school, saying (and I quote) "Son, if you can fix it, you can drive it."

Only in my time, Supras were brand new cars and the internet hadn't been invented yet. I had to go downtown to the library and check out a Chilton's manual and other books on car repair in general. Dad took me shopping at salvage yards and sometimes supervised when I had to do something relatively dangerous, like hoisting the motor out with a rented shop crane, but otherwise he barely lifted a finger to help. I had to spend my savings to buy a whole front clip, motor and all off a similar Honda that had been smashed in the rear and have it painted to match. Took me all summer. But looking back on the experience, if I were POTUS, I'd sign an executive order that every teenager has to get their first car the same way I did. Wow! What a fantastic way to educate a young driver about everything he really ought to know about his car and make him drive it carefully, having so much skin in the game!

So kudos to you (and your cousin) for wanting to jump in and get grease under your nails. It might not be the start of a lifelong car hobby like it was for me, but even if after you graduate from college or trade school and you can afford to always have a new car under warranty or pay those professionals, you'll at least know enough about how cars work that the mechanics can't easily overcharge you for repairs or talk you into service that isn't necessary.

There's lots of information on this forum specific to the Supra brake system and you can find "how-to" videos about servicing brakes on youtube. But I'll give you some warning about working on 40 year old hydraulic brake systems. Most car owners seem to know how often they are supposed to change engine oil, but almost none know that the brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 2-3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if your Supra's brake fluid is decades old and there is a lot of internal corrosion. If the car didn't come with maintenance records, I would assume the worst and plan on replacing the master cylinder and calipers with new or remanufactured units. Tho looking at current availability on rockauto.com, you may have to delve into getting the seal kits and rebuilding the calipers yourself. But no worries, its not hard, we can walk you through it if you get stuck.

Reactions: Crocket

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Awesome man. I was 17 when I bought mine as well.
Best advice is to stay hungry for info. These forums are pure gold. Lot's of old boys figured out anything and everything for these things back in the day. FB is mostly garbage, but some helpful guys on there as well.
Hit up George at Raptor Racing for parts or Rock Auto.
Keep it out of the salt and come hit some meets with the Toronto Supra Club!
Nice seeing another 82 in Ontario. Cheers.

Reactions: AJ
1 - 5 of 5 Posts