Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found a decent body in a junkyard for my car. Plenty of parts to be consumed. However, it's a 'P' model with the big-lipped fenders (of course, the fiberglas skins are all missing).

My ride is bone-stock original, with 69,000 miles. Save for the accident damage, this car is perfect. I do love the look of the bigger fenders, but think it might be a disservice to the car if I elected to go with the flares.

I'm leaning towards not detracting from the original form...

... would love to hear from all.

As a sidenote, can anyone say - for sure - if the fender flares from a 1984 Celica GT are the same as a 1984 Supra? Found another car in the scrapheap that has two or three available.

Thanks for the input.

- W.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
There is quite a bit of work to be done to get the P-type flares on an L-type (read...cutting and drilling). And a Celica GT does not come with fender flares, it is just like a L-type Supra, but if it is a GT-S, only the rear flares will work since they are the same as the P-type ones, but the fronts are completely different.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
well, if your installing the fenders from the p-type, its straight forward to get the flares on the front. putting flares on the rear would be a pain, and the car would look silly (i think) with front flares and no rear flares. i would just keep looking for l-type fenders. some one one here has to have a set.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A) Yep, it is in fact a GT-S model that has the flares (my bad).

B) Since I have to repair/replace both front fenders and a quarter-panel...
... it started me thinking - what's another quarter-panel, right?!!!

C) Since I am new to this (first Supra) I did not know that the offered fender flares for the 'L' model. Is that factory, or after-market?

D) As well (yeah, I'm sure this info. is available in this forum), would it be no problem to install the 'P' model rims on the 'L' (8-spoke factory rim)?

E) If I don't go this route, would I be smart to pull the fenders anyways - for any peeps on here?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
A) Yep, it is in fact a GT-S model that has the flares (my bad).

B) Since I have to repair/replace both front fenders and a quarter-panel...
... it started me thinking - what's another quarter-panel, right?!!!

C) Since I am new to this (first Supra) I did not know that the offered fender flares for the 'L' model. Is that factory, or after-market?

D) As well (yeah, I'm sure this info. is available in this forum), would it be no problem to install the 'P' model rims on the 'L' (8-spoke factory rim)?

E) If I don't go this route, would I be smart to pull the fenders anyways - for any peeps on here?
c) my bad on the typo. they did make flares for l-types a long time ago. really rare and pretty much impossible to come by. i had the opportunity to buy a set a few years ago and passed it up because i didnt need them.

d) p-type wheels fit on an l-type no issue.

e) id ask if anyone local needed them first. selling body parts on here can be pain. ive had a fender for sale for years that no one has bought yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I might let others in on the ride (locally) if I decide to bail on a fat-fendered 'L' ride. As well, I sure as heck don't need to toss away money. So even if I did swap out fenders (readily available) I would have to both quarters installed AND find a perfect couple of fender flares.

Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money...

... what was that someone once said; "leave well-enough alone"...

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
To answer your question the front flares on the Celicas are different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep coming across 'P' model donors in great shape, but am coming up short on 'L' models. I've located a running 'P' model for $500 - with nothing missing. I'm having a body shop do the quarter panel, and figure why not have 'em do the other one.

The local Toyota dealer says they have jack, the junkyards are not very helpful in pulling quarter panels, and it just plain sucks getting piecemealed to death at the register.

It really does look like my 'L' is going to look like a 'P' at the end of this journey. Will continue to keep everyone posted. I really want this thing done by the time turkeys are running for their lives.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
L-types were factory defects, just sell your L-type and buy a P-type ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts