Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Does don's setup sounds good with the carpet over it? Also what car did you get the small spare out of? I've heard RX7's???

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
looks great. I love red mk2's. If you ever wanna sell your mk2 let me know :lol:

charlie

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
hahaha i never ended up doing this

but am thinknig about it again

I've got some decent 3.5" in the fronts, and some 5x7" in the rear. with a pioneer 50x4W headunit.

sounds nice, but has no bass etc.

Needs a sub and amp.

What's the best setup?

It must look stock. Happy to sacrifice spare wheel well or the side trim, like Bob sully's install.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Nothing to contribute, except to say that you just bumped a thread that's almost TEN YEARS OLD. Well done. Wow.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well, easier than starting a new one on the same topic ;)

it's how i roll

bwahha

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Hey i'd rather see a 10 year old thread that has info in currently than him start a new thread with nothing. Also to be fair he was in the thread 10 years ago too :D

I actually just went through the thread myself to get some ideas. I've got a few other things to do first, but stereo is on my list. I like the idea of flipping the spare upside down and making an enclosure that fits inside.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
hahah yeah i thought you were impressed mate, all good.
the irony was that 10 years later i still have a shit stereo... not counting the harmonious tones of the 7 MGTE ;)

That compact sub.... Are they meant to be any good????

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Oh, I'm sure it will be enough to help out the lows.

I replaced the stock rears with some 5-1/2" Kenwoods, and put a set of 4" units where the stock front ones used to be.

When I get around to finishing up the interior I'll post all the pix I took getting things installed.

Jim

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sorry but there's almost no room under either seat. Certainly not enough for a sub enclosure. I have the amp for my front speakers mounted under the passenger seat and it's only a couple of inches tall. It doesn't fit all the way under the seat. There's even less room under the drivers seat.
Two possibilities are to mount the enclosure where the spare tire is or somewhere else behind the back seats. I built one that fits right up behind the rear seats and covered it with black carpeting including welting at the seams. It has 4 down firing 6 1/2" subs and sounds great. It has 6 1 1/4" tall carpet covered feet to raise it off the floor slightly and they're spaced to fit around the spare tire. I mounted the sub amp and rear speaker amp on the front side of the box facing the rear seat backs. If you don't look very closely, even with the hatch open, it looks totally OEM.
I did have a somewhat larger and similar shaped box with 2 10" subs but wanted a bit more space back. I made these boxes with quick disconnect power plugs and rear speaker plugs for easy removal when necessary. The signal cables just unplug as well.
Now if only someone made an easy to install speaker pod for the lower front doors.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Not even enough room for my 3-1/8" thick powered sub?

That's a bummer.

Maybe it'll fit in the area where that useless factory sub was.......

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Oh, well....looks like it goes behind the front seats, then....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey, drjim. Just wondering what your experience with that compact subwoofer was and where you ended up mounting it. I'm just looking for some bass in my car. Not an audio person but who doesn't like mediocre audio. I want a clean set up where there isn't a giant box in my trunk all the time.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts